The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Proper dipstick readings (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46133)

WestCoastSVX 09-08-2008 07:34 PM

Proper dipstick readings

Sounds like a really dumb question, but I've heard different things over the years and I figured this debate was worth its own thread and then maybe we can make a "definitive" document to post in the How-To section. :cool:

So what IS the proper way to read you engine oil dipstick? It has 3 marks - L, F, and a notch.

I've always used the "L" as "Low" - add a 1/4 quart at a time until it reads "F", which I take as "Full".

But then I've heard the notch is the "Full" mark when the engine is warm. Which is usually when I read the dipstick, but I'm using the lower markings. :o

Then you get into the whole thing about Subarus should be driven and warmed up, then parked for 15 minutes, then read. Or something like that. All kinds of information floating out there. Of course the dealer never would go through all this on a basic oil change, but as owners we might. :)

Crazy_pilot 09-08-2008 08:39 PM

Re: Proper dipstick readings

Not definitive but...I find that when you put the dipstick in the right direction, and there's enough oil to hit the upper hole, on the flip side of the stick the oil will be up to the notch. It's more evident on other Subies, but the SVX does it too.

Bobb 09-08-2008 08:57 PM

Hi Troy, I think you have it right on the low and full marks. The notch is for when the engine is HOT. As we all know, your oil level should be checked when the oil is cold and the car is level. Take care, BOBB

WestCoastSVX 09-09-2008 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 563287)
Not definitive but...I find that when you put the dipstick in the right direction, and there's enough oil to hit the upper hole, on the flip side of the stick the oil will be up to the notch. It's more evident on other Subies, but the SVX does it too.

Upper hole?

My stick doesn't have holes, just the L and F etched on the stick with lines. And then the notch at the top. :confused:

Thanks Bobb, I knew the level part but not the checking when cold part...

Crazy_pilot 09-09-2008 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 563343)
Upper hole?

My stick doesn't have holes, just the L and F etched on the stick with lines. And then the notch at the top. :confused:

Thanks Bobb, I knew the level part but not the checking when cold part...

The upper mark-a-ma-jigger that's not the notch. My brain must be in new subie mode, they have holes instead of etched lines.

ensteele 09-10-2008 12:19 AM

Troy - in the How-To Documents, you will fine How to Read the Dipstick :D