The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wanting to sell 93? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41894)

svxthc 11-16-2007 01:33 AM

Wanting to sell 93?

I have 82k on my red 93 svx. I'm debating whether or not to sell it. Basically I want to have the cash on hand so I can use it to fund a real estate transaction. I want at least 7k for the car. The thing gets 32 mpg on the highway and is in mint shape. Is this price realistic?

Should I hold on to it until it adds more in value?
Could it be worth twice as much in 5 years when the car is 20 years old and there are none to be found?

Is hanging onto it for another 5 years worth 1.2k/year in asset production if so? Am I dreaming?

Maybe Earl should answer this one... :)

Guyver280z 11-16-2007 03:08 PM

7 grand??? :eek: Try the blue book. www.kbb.com

I know we cant get much from our cars.... but honestly its not worthy selling them.... I wont sell my car for no less than 7K too, but I know nobody is going to pay that much.... that's why I just wont sell it :D

Hop 11-16-2007 05:53 PM

Sorry to say that I think that you're dreaming the same dream that I'm having. My car is worth a lot -- unfortunately, it's just worth a lot ot me just as everybody reading this has one that they have dreams about.

I can't believe that I haven't received a call from Jay Lenno saying that he has to have my car for his collection.

Best of luck with your decision and I hope that you enjoy the car while you have it.

SVXRide 11-16-2007 08:17 PM

$4-5k is probably more realistic...
-Bill

louis 11-16-2007 09:13 PM

maybe four thousand...there are 83k svxes selling for $2500

odepaj 11-16-2007 09:18 PM

I really think the reason SVX's are selling for so cheap is because everybody here tells people they need to lower their prices. I would say $7k for a '93AE with 82k is alittle high right now but deffinetly a price to consider (especially if the car is in great condition). Really since we've got alot of owners on here (and very few cars to begin with) we could easily control the market value of SVX's, it would just take a group effort and people would have to start asking more for their SVX's all around (not just 2-3 every once in awhile) and of course it would take awhile to do, but it would be creating a lasting future for our beloved SVX's.

Just my .02 though

Dustin

ensteele 11-17-2007 10:21 AM

I have seen a trend of prices increasing. I see more that have been sold at or above $7,000 now than ever before. I would agree that $4,000 to $5,000 is more realistic right now, but I think that these prices will tend to go up. We see more and more being parted out as well as in accidents. The number of them is going down which should push the value up eventually. Whether that happens or not, is up to debate. I would not sell it if it was me, but look at how many I have. :lol: I am going to sell a couple because I am trying to add lower mileage ones to my herd and sell some of the higher mileage one. :) Then I can buy a couple more. :lol:

CorSVXette 11-17-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxthc (Post 509080)
The thing gets 32 mpg on the highway

32 mpg?? Is that what these cars get?? I drive local and I am geeting only 15-18 mpg:eek:

ensteele 11-17-2007 10:38 AM

I get 26 to 29 on the freeway all of the time. :) I have gotten up to 31. :)

SVX92-97 11-17-2007 10:41 AM

32 Mpg?????????

32 MPG sounds a bit high. Maybe if you entered the freeway with a full tank and exited empty, and driving 55-60 MPH. That means you would go 576 miles on a full tank (18 gallon tank). Ive never heard of anyone going 500 miles on a tank of gas with their svx. 24-26 is usually the highest average I've had. 350 miles a tankfull with combined city and freeway driving is what Im getting.

CorSVXette 11-17-2007 10:58 AM

I wonder why I am getting such little mpg's? I know living in NYC is tough on gas mileage but that much of a difference? I wonder if something is wrong?

GreenMarine 11-19-2007 12:30 AM

I know my BEST tank ever was around 27mpg... That was before the tranny swap though... Since then my best was a few wqeeks ago with a 25.8mpg while driving from Raleigh, NC to Beaufort, SC...

~ Chris

YourConfused 11-19-2007 12:46 AM

32 mpg...

I was getting around 19mpg combined driving. I drove it hard about 62% of the time, but w/ a feather foot I never got 20 mpg, ever. My car had some issues though. (which I am now fixing)

svxistentialist 11-19-2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxthc (Post 509080)
I have 82k on my red 93 svx. I'm debating whether or not to sell it. Basically I want to have the cash on hand so I can use it to fund a real estate transaction. I want at least 7k for the car. The thing gets 32 mpg on the highway and is in mint shape. Is this price realistic?

Should I hold on to it until it adds more in value?
Could it be worth twice as much in 5 years when the car is 20 years old and there are none to be found?

Is hanging onto it for another 5 years worth 1.2k/year in asset production if so? Am I dreaming?

Maybe Earl should answer this one... :)

Expecting it to increase a lot in value over the next 5 years is not realistic. People, including ourselves :rolleyes:, are still buying the SVX as a car to drive every day, shopping and school runs. Values will not increase until it crosses over to collector status.

If you read the "What's the fastest" thread you will see an interesting trend. Many are saying "I wish I still had that now", "What value would that be now?" These are statements about 60's and 70s muscle cars, generally high end heavy metal.

The SVX will be the same, given time. I'm keeping my car, but I would not expect value increase to happen until the car is over 30. At 40 it will be getting into money, particularly if original. To get into high collector values it will need to achieve cult status as well, and the Network is working on that as we speak:rolleyes::D

Joe

svxistentialist 11-19-2007 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorSVXette (Post 509296)
I wonder why I am getting such little mpg's? I know living in NYC is tough on gas mileage but that much of a difference? I wonder if something is wrong?

Paul, some engines can be sweeter than others, and the gearbox plays a part too. Anybody getting over 28 at highway miles is driving steadily with the torque converter locked up.

My JDM Claret used give 20 - 22 city driving [10 miles plus] and 26-28 between cities [100 miles plus]

And one time on a return journey to Cork [160 miles each way] I actually did over 500 miles on a tank, which included touring and sightseeing. Only one time, but it did it to my surprise.

I suspect a lot of your driving is short runs in traffic. Your mpg is suffering because every time you drive the engine has to warm up. Your winter mileage will also lower your average because NY is cold. You might consider partially covering the rad in cold weather, especially if your drives are all less than 5 miles [don't cover the LHS lower corner, the oil cooler is there!].

You should also consider if you need to be driving with the aircon switched on all the time. It's probably costing you 3 mpg or more.

Another thing you should consider is tire pressure. I drive mine all the time at 35 F 33 R. It makes no difference to handling or braking, but is a definite help to gas mileage.

Joe:)