The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Stage 1 chip (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35555)

dannmarr 10-09-2006 04:19 PM

Stage 1 chip

What performance do you feel? I installed mine a week ago, and if feels like it's straining in the low RPMs, like it was in third gear. It ran smoother before. Is this normal?

Earthworm 10-09-2006 05:01 PM

Most reports state that it takes a bit of time for the ECU to relearn and gets better over time.

Hose92SVX 10-09-2006 05:07 PM

I have that ecutune stage1. The lower RPM's is where I saw the most benefits. I saw benefits the minute after it was installed. It consistantly barks the front tires a little coming off the line where before it did nothing. My brother has a Saturn Ion with a 5 speed and before the chip he would always get me the first 100 feet before I could catch up, now I catch up in about 30 to 50 feet. Yes I'm 35 and my brother is 44 and we still race each other despite having childrens car seats, and Elmo cds in the cars.

dannmarr 10-15-2006 02:41 PM

I liked the way the car was running before, it was smooth. Now it's harsh and rough. Car sounds like a VW rather than a Subaru.:(

dannmarr 10-28-2006 03:40 PM

It has been a month since I installed the stage one chip. The gas milage has droped from 25 to 17MPG (highway). The engine sounds rough, straining, reaches close to 3K RPM just to reach 40 miles an hour. I had the car checked at the trans shop, my local guy for exhaust leaks and I replaced the air filter with a K&N filter. I still have the same problem. I am very picky with the way my car runs, It wasn't as fast on low RPMs before but it was SMOOTHER. I am taking out the chip to see if it makes a difference. Has anyone had a similar experience?:(

nexus_7 10-29-2006 07:39 AM

Mine was fine.

Greg

Nemesis Destiny 10-29-2006 08:48 AM

Perhaps you should address the issue with the chip manufacturer. They may have an answer for you...

SVXRide 10-29-2006 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr
It has been a month since I installed the stage one chip. The gas milage has droped from 25 to 17MPG (highway). The engine sounds rough, straining, reaches close to 3K RPM just to reach 40 miles an hour. I had the car checked at the trans shop, my local guy for exhaust leaks and I replaced the air filter with a K&N filter. I still have the same problem. I am very picky with the way my car runs, It wasn't as fast on low RPMs before but it was SMOOTHER. I am taking out the chip to see if it makes a difference. Has anyone had a similar experience?:(

Definitely check with Michael (LAN) to make sure you did everything right during the install. You kept yourself grounded while removing the stock chip and installing the ECUTune chip, right?

Are you saying that the engine is turning at 3,000 rpms while you're cruising at 40mph? Is so, you should probably have another look at the trans.

Can you get the car to a shop that has a diagnostic machine with an A/F probe?

-Bill

SVXRide 10-29-2006 09:15 AM

Quote:

I liked the way the car was running before, it was smooth. Now it's harsh and rough. Car sounds like a VW rather than a Subaru.:(

Not to say it might not be an issue with the chip, but have you checked for any engine codes that would indicate some other problem (vacuum leak, coil going bad, plugs that need to be replaced, etc.). The stage 1 chip will run the car at a richer a/f, which might just have been rich enough to foul out a plug or two if you already had a lot of miles on the plugs to begin with.
Good luck getting your car back on track!
-Bill
p.s. have you checked to make sure all of the connectors going into the ECU are pushed back in tight?

Budfreak 10-29-2006 10:26 AM

I've had mine in for about 3 weeks now and I absolutely love it. No problems to report at all.:) Hope you get it figured out danmarr.

dannmarr 11-01-2006 05:31 PM

Great performance

My car is back to normal, after replacing the spark plugs, (SVXRIDE was correct). The spark plugs were fouled with carbon deposits. My mechanic said an overrich air/fuel mixture will do this. Now that the car is O.K, should I keep the chip in or take it out?

Earthworm 11-02-2006 07:48 AM

Leave it in. When was the last time your O2 sensors were changed?

dannmarr 11-02-2006 03:29 PM

Sensors were changed this year.

longassname 11-06-2006 07:33 PM

I haven't heard of any issues of spark plug fouling problems. If your car is running rich and you foul the plugs again I'd check out your temp sensor. You could also put in iridiums but I suspect you just had bad plugs and won't see the problem again.

SVXelerator 11-06-2006 08:06 PM

Quote:

My car is back to normal, after replacing the spark plugs, (SVXRIDE was correct). The spark plugs were fouled with carbon deposits. My mechanic said an overrich air/fuel mixture will do this. Now that the car is O.K, should I keep the chip in or take it out?

+1 for SVXRIDE:cool: You would be well served to get the AFR checked at a local diagnostic center. Please post back your results.