The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   fuel pump replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33842)

Dengue 06-24-2006 09:35 AM

fuel pump replacement

I think my fuel pump may be dead, I know there is an access port under the back seat, but when I looked up the part on advance auto parts it said something about having to drop the tank, is that correct? or can I just change it from the back seat?

Skip

RojoRocket 06-24-2006 12:54 PM

There is a special tool, "Replacer"(42911PA000) listed in the book to remove the cap, as well as documented cautions re: venting fuel system, etc etc, but this is doable in the car. I'm sure our members have improvised a way to do it without the tool. I've thought about doing this to clean/replace the fuel sender(s) and straighten out my fuel gauge.

Glenn

TomsSVX 06-24-2006 10:00 PM

it can and has been done inside the car

Tom

Suby Fan 06-24-2006 10:12 PM

if its any thing like the saab one i just did you have to tap on the ring it is screwed on and needs to be taped off i used a small hammer and a philips screw driver

Dengue 06-25-2006 10:08 AM

thanks alot, I'm hoping that the fuel pump isn't the problem, but, my diagnostic skills are pretty weak, I'll just for fun throw the symptoms out and see what comes back....

the check engine light has been on and off sporatically for about a month now, and the car is running a bit rough, sometimes, it doesn't start as easily as usual and a few days ago, it wouldn't start for quite a while, and then when it finally did in ran like it wasn't getting enough fuel, and then ultimately, it died. 2 days later, I started it again, and it sputtered like it was short of fuel again, then suddenly, it smoothed out and started running, still a little rough, and the check engine light is still on. even before the check engine light came on, I noticed that frequently when I started the car, I could smell gasoline in the cabin, and it smells like bad gasoline.

the only other thing I can think of is that it seems like this started after the car sat for about 2 months without being started. (I had surgery and couldn't really move around to get to the car)

hopin' for some insight!

Skip

ensteele 06-25-2006 01:05 PM

Be sure to unplug it and then vent the tank before you start to take the plate under the back seat off. :)

intelisevil 06-25-2006 01:24 PM

A good place to start would be to read the codes in the ECU to see why that pesky check engine light (CEL) keeps coming on. There's some info on how to do this in our How-to Documents:

http://subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14264

Good Luck,
Dan

dcarrb 06-26-2006 05:59 AM

I agree that checking the codes is the place to start. I've never heard of a fuel pump gradually, progressively failing. Maybe they do, but in my own experience ('86 Suby GL), when the pump goes, there's but one symptom: Things become quiet mighty quickly and you find yourself coasting to a stop on the shoulder.

dcb

Dengue 06-26-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intelisevil
A good place to start would be to read the codes in the ECU to see why that pesky check engine light (CEL) keeps coming on. There's some info on how to do this in our How-to Documents:

http://subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14264

Good Luck,
Dan

yeah, I already got that how-to from svx-iw, but, step 2 is a bit tough, in that I don't really know what blue wire I am looking for. My car has has an aftermarket alarm, that was there when I got the car, and there is quite a bit of wiring there. I feel like a bit of a goob now, cause I have no idea what I am doing. If someone could make a copy of that picture with little arrows pointing to the correct wires and whatnot, it would be VERY helpful for the slow people like myself.

Skip

Dengue 06-28-2006 05:26 PM

ok, so I figured it out, got the codes, I got 21 (probably not related to my current issue) and 56 (probably the cause of my issue) so, I'm hoping that it is simply a disconnected or damaged hose, but, where would I find this hose?

Skip

Earthworm 06-28-2006 05:28 PM

Actually error code 21 IS the problem. That's the engine temperature sensor.

I had that fail and I had a hard time trying to start the car. It would start but with low idle and if I touched the gas it would stall. Imagine starting an engine with manual choke that was turned off.

Dengue 06-28-2006 07:29 PM

okey dokey... and is this something I can pick up at my local autozone, or am I gonna spend some time/money on this one?

Skip

TomsSVX 06-28-2006 10:28 PM

order it from subaruparts.com and it will take 5 minutes to install, no lie

Tom

dcarrb 06-29-2006 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dengue
okey dokey... and is this something I can pick up at my local autozone, or am I gonna spend some time/money on this one?

Skip

Not to dis Subaruparts.com, but O'Reilly Auto Parts had the Subaru part number cross-referenced in their system, and I think I paid about fifteen bucks; you'll pay half that in shipping alone from the former. The same probably goes for Autozone.

dcb

Dengue 06-29-2006 06:12 PM

could I get that part number please?

Skip