The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Legacy question but almost SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12388)

svxxx26 08-03-2003 09:00 AM

Legacy question but almost SVX

Thought I'd post this to see if any technically experieced members had any info on this.
I had a WRX steering wheel I wanted to put in my '93 Legacy - figured it ought to go right on there....WRONG. The Legacy threads are smaller. Anyway, when re-installing the old wheel, the dang thing rubs against the steering column plastic housing! My mechanic was at a loss, something was altered in the process of removing the old wheel but what? He's gonna tear into the column next week.
I'm wondering though, could I get an Impreza part to replace the Legacy part ("part" being the thing the steering wheel actually bolts up to) and put the WRX wheel in like I'm craving???
ANd just what could have possibly gone so bad in the process of removing the Legacy wheel???

The SVX angle is this: The Legacy wheel and the SVX wheel are visually identical on the outside. So can I assume that the Lecacy and SVX wheels interchange? and that I can't put the WRX wheel in the SVX either??

Man I love that WRX wheel...:rolleyes:

huck369 08-03-2003 09:09 AM

I've had almost the same problem, but with the SVx, I aquired a JDM SVX Steering wheel with the Stereo
Buttons on it, and no air bag...wanted to put it into my SVX, but it doesn't fit, the swivel wireing harness is different and the offset is different too.

Would have looked sweet :rolleyes:

Green1995SVX 08-03-2003 09:46 AM

I tried to put a wheel from a WRX STi in my svx, but it wouldnt fit because of the clockspring. The rule here is: If the steering wheel has buttons for the horn, it will wokr on the svx. If the whole center part is the horn, it wont.

Mike

huck369 08-03-2003 09:57 AM

The JDM one has horn buttons, and it doesn't fit:(

NomadTW 08-03-2003 05:46 PM

if someone can figure out how to make the impreza steering wheels fit share
i want the forester wheel

Subafreak 08-04-2003 07:05 PM

I know that someone put a WRX wheel on a 91 Legacy, of course the airbag wouldn't work on this car because it never had one, but it seems like it would go on a newer Legacy? Anyway maybe you put in on to tight?

svxxx26 08-08-2003 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
I know that someone put a WRX wheel on a 91 Legacy, of course the airbag wouldn't work on this car because it never had one, but it seems like it would go on a newer Legacy? Anyway maybe you put in on to tight?
Hmmmm....when the mechanic put the WRX wheel onto my Legacy hub it was definitely wobbling, the opening in the WRX was bigger. I wouldn't think there would be ANY difference between a 91 and a 93 Legacy...other than the airbag of course. But then I have no idea why Subaru wouldn't standardize things like that.
Any possibility you could ask your friend about that installation??:confused: I haven't given up yet.