The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dash warning lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50349)

canbritsvx 05-22-2009 08:12 AM

Dash warning lights

I have a 1992 with the steering and airbag warning lams lit on the dash, it is a 5 speed swap car (a little rough) but i don’t think these lams should relate. I checked all the connectors i see and the fuses, nothing strange looking, so what causes the steering and airbag lamps to light?
Many thanks
C

svxistentialist 05-22-2009 09:07 AM

Re: Dash warning lights

Clive

I don't know why your airbag light is on, but your steering light could actually be caused by the 5 speed conversion! :eek:

I'm guessing that your car is the top model, rather than base model. Higher spec cars got the electronically controlled steering. This steering stiffens up at higher speeds so that you can feel the front wheels better on corners. In order to do this the steering computer needs a feed from the speed sensors so that it registers road speed and reduces power steering assistance at higher speeds.

Your power steering control unit needs to be fed a speed signal. With the auto it gets this via a yellow and red wire coming from SS2, which is the one in the front differential beside the dipstick. This needs to feed terminal 4 on your Power steering connector B53.

It's possible that whoever changed to the 5-speed disconnected this speed signal feed, or at least did not restore it.

Have you asked Young Tom or Old Tom about what needs rewiring after a 5-speed change? They would be aware of this and could advise you how to restore this signal.

Joe

Famouspork 05-22-2009 09:07 AM

Check your brake fluid level maybe??
as for the airbag light, I wouldn't know, sorry..

canbritsvx 05-22-2009 09:24 AM

Thanks , all good info , back under the hood :-)
C

Famouspork 05-22-2009 09:26 AM

Personnally, if I had an airbag light on, I would remove the fuse, just in case, I don't like airbags

canbritsvx 05-25-2009 12:25 PM

Hi svxistentialist, i should have asked this before the weekend, how do identify the SS2 and B53 connectors, how many pins/wires, is there a picture? (i like pictures :-) )
I looked at all spare / loose connectors but could not find a yellow red?
Young Tom or Old Tom any suggestions?
Cheers
C

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 602362)
Clive

I don't know why your airbag light is on, but your steering light could actually be caused by the 5 speed conversion! :eek:

I'm guessing that your car is the top model, rather than base model. Higher spec cars got the electronically controlled steering. This steering stiffens up at higher speeds so that you can feel the front wheels better on corners. In order to do this the steering computer needs a feed from the speed sensors so that it registers road speed and reduces power steering assistance at higher speeds.

Your power steering control unit needs to be fed a speed signal. With the auto it gets this via a yellow and red wire coming from SS2, which is the one in the front differential beside the dipstick. This needs to feed terminal 4 on your Power steering connector B53.

It's possible that whoever changed to the 5-speed disconnected this speed signal feed, or at least did not restore it.

Have you asked Young Tom or Old Tom about what needs rewiring after a 5-speed change? They would be aware of this and could advise you how to restore this signal.

Joe

canbritsvx 05-25-2009 12:26 PM

The air bag light, i pulled the fuse but its still lit, apart from removing the bulb any ideas on turning off the lamp - wire to cut?
Cheers
C