The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ABS Ground Question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51146)

michael 08-01-2009 09:35 PM

ABS Ground Question

I heard somewhere that connections for airbags were gold plated. Does the same go for the ABS ground strap?
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...l/IMG_0289.jpg
I can't believe I don't remember this thing being so shiny when new. Bling Bling!

Trevor 08-02-2009 12:30 AM

Re: ABS Ground Question

"Gold" plating is the gimmick of the decade. It is useful where contact pressure is limited e.g. some switches and relays. Bur where reasonable contact pressure available and very low voltage/current is involved, silver is superior. But gold is golden so far as cometic attraction is concerned. :lol:

Using it where bolt generated pressures are involved, is plain stupid. :p

michael 08-02-2009 06:37 AM

So, is that thing gold plated?

Trevor 08-03-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 612060)
So, is that thing gold plated?

Did you not get my point? It could be, in order to impress the libido market. :lol:

SoCal LS-L 08-03-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 612245)
Did you not get my point? It could be, in order to impress the libido market. :lol:

Cough cough ahem :lol: The purpose of gold plating is because it is absolutely superior to other metals in corrosion resistance, as its physical properties allow virtually ZERO oxidation. Silver tarnishes. Thats why gold is found in nature as a bright shiny nugget, and if you happen to find some let me know and ill take that useless metal off your hands :D

Trevor 08-03-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 612251)
Cough cough ahem :lol: The purpose of gold plating is because it is absolutely superior to other metals in corrosion resistance, as its physical properties allow virtually ZERO oxidation. Silver tarnishes. Thats why gold is found in nature as a bright shiny nugget, and if you happen to find some let me know and ill take that useless metal off your hands :D

Nice one. Agreed, but is it worth gilding a lily? :confused::lol:

SoCal LS-L 08-03-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 612256)
Nice one. Agreed, but is it worth gilding a lily? :confused::lol:

No way, they gold plate everything nowadays..... its marketing. You pay an extra $10 for a .0001 micron thick gold plate to feel like its better. The worst is the custom stereo market..... if it aint gold plated, people think you're ghetto. :rolleyes:

Trevor 08-03-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 612261)
No way, they gold plate everything nowadays..... its marketing. You pay an extra $10 for a .0001 micron thick gold plate to feel like its better. The worst is the custom stereo market..... if it aint gold plated, people think you're ghetto. :rolleyes:

You've got it. The "audiophile!" set, swear on their backsides, that gold = golden sound, :lol:

michael 08-03-2009 04:45 PM

I think it's a safety issue. Say you live in a salt mine in London. If your ground for the ABS pump gets corroded prematurely, you'd have a nice lawsuit if an accident occurs. If it were marketing it would not be unadvertised. Stereo equipment sales thrive on the the fact that it's gold plated, SVX sales do not.

Trevor 08-03-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael (Post 612265)
I think it's a safety issue. Say you live in a salt mine in London. If your ground for the ABS pump gets corroded prematurely, you'd have a nice lawsuit if an accident occurs. If it were marketing it would not be unadvertised. Stereo equipment sales thrive on the the fact that it's gold plated, SVX sales do not.

I would reckon that that a decent thickness of cadmium or zinc would be better, as this would be more likely to resist possible mechanical damage in transit, storage, or during installation.

I wonder if anyone involved in production, has put in the thought at present demonstrated here. We should demand money as consults.:lol: