The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   bad cv/bad trans question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52202)

redlinedeath 11-04-2009 01:22 AM

bad cv/bad trans question

if my old transmission would roll back and forth in park, and turns out one of the axles seperated at the first boot, would that still be a bad transmission? the reason i ask is because when i replaced my friends axle in her taurus a few months back, the car would actually roll back in park, untill theyput it against a curb, but when i replaced the axle, it was fine. hers had completey shattered everything in the outer boot. is there a possibility my transmission wasnt even bad? the rear tires wouldnt drive anymore, the winter before my brother was doing donuts in the snow, and then lost drive to the rear wheels, so those werent turning under their own power when the trans went bad anyhow. just wondering. old trans is already out and new one is ready to go in anyhow, but im just wondering if this is a possibility.

1986nate 11-04-2009 02:05 AM

Re: bad cv/bad trans question

Hey Raul, I should have thought of this initially. If he lost power to the rear wheels doing donuts, he probably was driving it rough and blew the front differential after the rear wheels stopped receiving power and the front was taking all of the stress.

redlinedeath 11-04-2009 02:06 AM

even if the rear tires stopped getting power about 6 months before the final problem that left it parked?

1986nate 11-04-2009 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinedeath (Post 624122)
even if the rear tires stopped getting power about 6 months before the final problem that left it parked?

Yes. If there was only power going to the front wheels and he got the front wheels spinning, that can sheer the teeth right off the diff and it may not happen the first time or even the 1000th time, but it can and does happen to people at anytime. Also that would mean that the front wheels would have nothing to "lock" them up when the transmission is in park.

redlinedeath 11-04-2009 02:26 AM

ah. i was pretty sure it was bad with the metal bits i found in the trans fluid and all. not sure what to do with the old trans now, lol.

1986nate 11-04-2009 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinedeath (Post 624128)
ah. i was pretty sure it was bad with the metal bits i found in the trans fluid and all. not sure what to do with the old trans now, lol.

Well if You were to find metal chunks, those should all still be in the diff case and fluid if you were to drain that. As for the old trans, take it in for scrap since I doubt its any good as a core if you were finding metal chunks:(

redlinedeath 11-04-2009 10:14 AM

ah well. itll make a nice paperweight.

gbianchi 11-05-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redlinedeath (Post 624147)
ah well. itll make a nice paperweight.

I have made quite a nice bit of shop decoration using 2 brat tranny interior gearsets, and differencials and pistons hanging on some water piping with the engine block as the base, kinda cool, this stuff is to cool to throw away.........G