The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Good... And the Bad (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30952)

Boxer6SVX 01-18-2006 02:58 PM

The Good... And the Bad

Ok well after my SVX being in the shop from November 28th-January 11th I have successfully put 350 miles on my new front dif and now im experiencing some new problems.

The Bad:
~Torque convertor locks some times and other times it stays out.
~Trans has to warm up some before it will shift properly (I hear this is semi-normal)
~ When in Park, if I rev it the car will roll until it goes back to idle.
~ At idle there is a very distinct metallic rattling noise coming from the engine bay. Doesnt do it all the time and doesnt affect performance. Maybe an exhaust flange or catalytic convertor shield is loose?

The Good:
~ Rear wiper fixed itself and now wipes the back glass instead of the TRUNK :rolleyes:
~ CD player miraculously works again
~ POWER light comes on when its supposed to

SilverSpear 01-18-2006 03:07 PM

You should get that transmission fixed before it gets you in worse issues :rolleyes:

Boxer6SVX 01-18-2006 04:26 PM

I doubt I own it that long. I was already at the local Subee dealer looking at a used WRX. :rolleyes:
And I just spent $2218 getting the dif replaced.

svxistentialist 01-18-2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxer6SVX
Ok well after my SVX being in the shop from November 28th-January 11th I have successfully put 350 miles on my new front dif and now im experiencing some new problems.

The Bad:

~ When in Park, if I rev it the car will roll until it goes back to idle.

This should not happen. There is an adjustment required I think it is related to the length of the cable the shifter moves. And Silver Spear is correct. It will be wearing your clutches. Get it adjusted.

~ At idle there is a very distinct metallic rattling noise coming from the engine bay. Doesnt do it all the time and doesnt affect performance. Maybe an exhaust flange or catalytic convertor shield is loose?

This is usually caused either by the heat shields up over the cats, or else by a loose plate within the expansion chamber in the middle of the exhaust line. It looks like a cat, but isn't. Check the heat shields are not rattling first. If they are OK, it's very likely to be the baffles in the expansion chamber.

The baffles are more of an annoyance than a problem. But the moving in park will cost you dear if you don't attend to it right away.:eek:

Joe

Boxer6SVX 01-18-2006 05:23 PM

At first I thought the sound was a spun bearing and I was freaking out.

How do I adjust the cable?

TomsSVX 01-18-2006 05:29 PM

There is a screw adjuster on the base of the shifter under the car.

Tom

Boxer6SVX 01-18-2006 05:41 PM

Ok so say I manage to get up there to it from under the car... what then? Im so incompetant when it comes to automatics...:confused:

*Rips out 4EAT with bare hands and hurls it across garage*:mad:
*Goes hunting for an unsuspecting STi to rape the trans from*:eek:

TomsSVX 01-18-2006 05:58 PM

um... you loosen the adjuster and place the shifter into park position and make sure the lever on the side of the transmission is fully engaged in the park postion. Then tighten the adjuster so it is snug. Not that complicated

Tom

Boxer6SVX 01-18-2006 06:06 PM

Sorry bout being so thorough but it seems something as seemingly simple as a headlight bulb can get complicated with these things.

And as always "Thanks Tom" :D :D :D