The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   AC or no AC that is the question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20242)

overdalimit 07-27-2004 10:38 AM

AC or no AC that is the question

I've seen various posts about A/C problems. Mine i just not that cold to me at all. It'll freeze you out at night but I've got to keep it on high during the day. My compressor went out and I just had that repaired but it stills blows (temperature wise) the same. It just is not cold enough. It is properly charged and Ihad the expansion valve, drier, and compressor changed and like I said it is just as cold as it was the first time. Man! it sure doesn't numb my hands when I place them in the front of the vent orshould I say that it's just cool air. I own a 95 with the R134A coolant. Any suggestions?

ensteele 07-27-2004 10:41 AM

What temperature is it outside when you are not happy with the temp? :confused:

dcarrb 07-27-2004 11:02 AM

This is a total wild guess, but since the AC seems colder at night (when obviously, the system doesn't have to work as hard), I wonder if the daylight load sensor on the dash is working properly.

My AC seems to cool just fine, and I've become accustomed to leaving the system on AUTO with the thermostat setting at 73 degrees, but I have found myself punching the CIRC button with regularity on especially hot, humid days. Makes quite a difference.

dcb

red95svx 07-27-2004 11:32 AM

Go to the "How To" section of this website and look for the AC system self diagnostics. That will tell you if you have a bad sun load sensor. My guess is a bad condensor.

Dave

overdalimit 07-28-2004 03:23 PM

Yeah...I have to leave mine in Re-Circ mode in order to get any good performance out of it. What exactly is the purpose of the SunLoad sensor? How would it affect the cooling performance of the system? I also have to leave mine on 65Degrees all the time except at night. I had juggled the condensor possibility myself thinking that maybe it has becom less efficient.

dcarrb 07-29-2004 06:41 AM

I think my vents would frost-over if I left the AC at 65. All I can offer about the load sensor is that it's a light-sensitive unit which informs the AC to step-up to the heavier load needed to cool the car during the day.

dcb

tancred 07-29-2004 09:16 AM

I have the same problem, I pulled the cap off where you add R-134a and its leaking, it bubbles out a greenish blue for a few secs every time i pull the cap off...and while driving when its like 83 or lower outside it works nice, anything like 90+ a few moments of cold then it gets hot and I turn it off. Also, I have to hold my gas pedal down at stoplights and make it idle about 1000 to keep cool air when it is hot, it works great when the rpms are between 1-2k. I think i have a leaking head gasket too, because my temps fluctuate from colder then normal to hot..............