The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Tires What to buy? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46484)

svx_commuter 10-07-2008 11:47 AM

New Tires What to buy?

I have to get some new tires and I am not sure.

It is either the Fusion HRI at $80
or
Continental Extreme Contact at $89

I had the Conti tires a few years ago and they were good. I can tolerate the cold set.

Peace,

John

ridered777 10-07-2008 11:58 AM

Re: New Tires What to buy?

I've heard that hands down the best tire for the money is some Conti high-performance... HXP or something like that? I'm pretty sure I saw Crazy_Pilot talking about them a while back...

alia176 10-07-2008 02:43 PM

while you're at it, let us know who has the best prices!

Thanks.

Mr. Bill 10-07-2008 05:12 PM

crazy_pilot suggested I buy General Exclaim UHPs ... I did ... so far I like them. Generals are made by Continental.

Tim 10-07-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Bill (Post 567522)
crazy_pilot suggested I buy General Exclaim UHPs ... I did ... so far I like them. Generals are made by Continental.

I really dislike my current set of Generals. They have a good amount of sidewall flex and are not very grippy compared to the ContiExtreme Contacts.

techy101 10-07-2008 05:51 PM

Stay away from the Fuzion tires. The HRi's are junk to put it nicely. They do ok under day to day driving but are a bit noisy. If you even think of doing something that could be loosely defined as "performance" they're terrible.

Their general grip is ok, but they're extremely touchy when you begin to get near the limits of grip. They give little to no feedback and are very hard to control and regain traction. It's a tad hard to describe, but when you reach limits of traction they give and re-grab again sporadically.

Wet traction is junk across the board.

alia176 10-07-2008 06:10 PM

How about the http://tinyurl.com/Sumitomo-HTR? At $72/each and a ZR rating may be worth looking into?

techy101 10-07-2008 06:15 PM

I've been quite happy with the Hankook Rs2 Z212's that I have on my Forester XT. They're not for temps below 40, but they're amazing summer tires for a reasonable price with great wet handling. For winters I've been running Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI's for winter and ice racing, but I am looking into Michelin X-ICE Xi2 for a set of winter daily drivers.

Tim 10-07-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techy101 (Post 567527)

Their general grip is ok, but they're extremely touchy when you begin to get near the limits of grip. They give little to no feedback and are very hard to control and regain traction. It's a tad hard to describe, but when you reach limits of traction they give and re-grab again sporadically.

Wet traction is junk across the board.

Well said. It's hard to find the tires' limitation, but when you it can be scary. It is not a really stable tire to toy with, but as a daily driver it's perfectly fine.

techy101 10-07-2008 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim (Post 567533)
Well said. It's hard to find the tires' limitation, but when you it can be scary. It is not a really stable tire to toy with, but as a daily driver it's perfectly fine.

My concern with them is that in an evasive maneuvering situation they will behave erratically and make a recoverable situation dangerous.

redlightningsvx 10-07-2008 06:44 PM

I have had the Fusions since last winter and so far they are really good. I drive a windy mountain everyday to get to work and back and they grip good. I've lost control on one occasion in the snow at 65mpg around a sharp turn and they gripped back which helped me avoid other drivers. Just my .02 cents though.

immortal_suby 10-07-2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by techy101 (Post 567531)
but I am looking into Michelin X-ICE Xi2 for a set of winter daily drivers.

I got a set of the x-ice for my friend to put on his legacy outback last year and he loved them. Said it was pretty much unstoppable all winter in NY.

svx_commuter 10-08-2008 01:29 PM

Thank for the response! A large variety of tires are in use. I am going with the Conti Extreme contacts, $107 each mounted and balanced and an extra two mounted. The extra two was advice from Beav awhile ago. That way when a tire yets destroyed I can just use one of the extras and the tread size is okay for the AWD. As long as I remember to rotate them ontime.

I bought six the last time and one of them did not make it to the end. So I think this is a good cost savings in the long run. It got a staple of all things near the side wall and NO one would patch it. I tried to use fix-a-flat and the tire cracked!!!! Split all the way around.

Peace,

John

dannmarr 10-08-2008 07:31 PM

GoodYear triple tred. $40 rebate available this month! These will be my next tires once I save up the $.

Blacky 10-08-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 567721)
GoodYear triple tred. $40 rebate available this month! These will be my next tires once I save up the $.

On your SVX? They're for grocery getters. I have a set on my '97 Outback wagon.