The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Rebeading a tire (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37445)

AlcyoneDaze 02-11-2007 01:09 PM

Rebeading a tire

Well, this really has nothing to do with my SVX, but a buddy of mine drove his Jeep into a rather large rock and took the tire off the rim. Since its Sunday, no tire shop is open and we're trying to figure out how to put the tire back on the rim without any machine, can someone help out? We have an air compressor to fill the tire back up, but its off the bead. HELP!

Suby Fan 02-11-2007 01:13 PM

yeah you need something to hold the rim in place and you need a pry bar to slide it over the bead..... its a HUGE PITA and it requires a pro touch to do it but it can be done.... i would recomend just waiting

ensteele 02-11-2007 01:17 PM

And it should be in the other forum. :)

AlcyoneDaze 02-11-2007 01:17 PM

well, I have a pry bar and an extra pair of hands, gotta get this jeep off the property by the end of the day and everything is closed in pennsyltucky on a Sunday

AlcyoneDaze 02-11-2007 01:18 PM

AND DANGIT! I don't even know which forum to post in! it's not 'General SVX' cuz its about a Jeep, this is MUCH more technical :D

AlcyoneDaze 02-11-2007 01:20 PM

do you have a forum for "NOT AT ALL SVX?"

maybe it should be moved to there... :o

ensteele 02-11-2007 01:21 PM

I have seen people use a belt or rope to tie around the tires tread so that it will hold the bead close to the rim. It takes a lot of air to get it sealed. Good luck. No spare tire?

Crazy_pilot 02-11-2007 01:23 PM

A couple pry bars, a big hammer, some lube (dish soap), and a lot of "GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"-ing.

Hocrest 02-11-2007 01:41 PM

Is the tire still in place, just popped in???? My uncle used to use some starting fluid and a match to pop it on....:eek:

Do this at your own risk of course;)

AlcyoneDaze 02-11-2007 01:54 PM

SOme sick part of me really likes the above idea...

Well, we have a spare, but he managed to do this to both of his tires on the left side, one is destroyed along with the rim, the other is fine.

Can you expand on this belt/rope method? Just tighten it around the treads and turn on the air compressor?

Hocrest 02-11-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlcyoneDaze
Can you expand on this belt/rope method? Just tighten it around the treads and turn on the air compressor?

Yeah, a ratchet strap wrapped around the circumference in the center of the tread. You will need as much of an airflow as possible. Good luck getting it to work with a 12v compressor. You'll most likely need something with an air tank.

Also make sure the bead/rim is slick, I've heard rumor of beer being used???

oab_au 02-11-2007 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
Yeah, a ratchet strap wrapped around the circumference in the center of the tread. You will need as much of an airflow as possible. Good luck getting it to work with a 12v compressor. You'll most likely need something with an air tank.

Also make sure the bead/rim is slick, I've heard rumor of beer being used???

Yes jack the tyre off the ground, and take the valve core out so there will be a higher air flow.

Harvey.;)

AlcyoneDaze 02-11-2007 06:33 PM

wow, thanks agin everyone, we got the jeep outta my yard a few hours ago. The rope around the tire method worked after a lotta experimenting and a bigger compressor!