The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hydraulic Lifts.. ??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57197)

James Scott 05-03-2011 05:04 PM

Hydraulic Lifts.. ???

Is there a "cheap" source for hydraulic hood and trunk lift supports? They're about $60-70 from online OEM part houses.. . Yikes! :barf:

Hoping So.. . Tired of getting partially decapitated, when I forget the wood support stick! .. or getting scared from the severe trunk SLAM! :eek:

Thanks, Jim :D

kinz 05-03-2011 06:05 PM

Re: Hydraulic Lifts.. ???

I know there is a write up on the hood I got a link to the trunk in my signature. Very similar process for the trunk I did will work for hood

James Scott 05-03-2011 08:11 PM

is there a trunk strut redo with info? ... or did it never work out?

kwren 05-03-2011 09:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hood, yes! Attached is a graphic for the bracket for the strut... the way to get a professional job. The nuts are self locking good quality and keep the other component centered like it should be.

Trunk, no...

Mickey Mouse or Dealer only.

Keith:cool:

svxcess 05-03-2011 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 675437)
Is there a "cheap" source for hydraulic hood and trunk lift supports?

There finally is an aftermarket option which allows the trunk to open the full 90 degrees that the OEM struts did.

Parts list, installation writeup and photos.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...uts#post668295

James Scott 05-04-2011 06:15 PM

SO... I just order kits from Lift Support Depot for the trunk job (eBay link is closed), but order the parts for the Hood job (other thread) separately.. or do they make "kits" also.. ??

James Scott 05-04-2011 07:02 PM

I mean.. . from SPD.. . ?? :confused:

.. . I wanna do the best.. most recent mods.. for both hood and trunk gas charged struts. These How-To's tend to flow.. as someone perfects a good mod.. into a better one! So for the hood, I should order SPD struts (SPD GSNI- 2449-89) and ballstuds directly.. then purchase bolts + washers myself. AND, for the trunk, I order "kits" from Lift Support Depot (#49136) for $33.30 each? SOUND RIGHT? :eek:

svxcess 05-04-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 675528)
I mean.. . from SPD.. . ?? :confused:

I wanna do the best.. most recent mods.. for both hood and trunk gas charged struts. These How-To's tend to flow.. as someone perfects a good mod.. into a better one! So for the hood, I should order SPD struts (SPD GSNI- 2449-89) and ballstuds directly.. then purchase bolts + washers myself. AND, for the trunk, I order "kits" from Lift Support Depot (#49136) for $33.30 each? SOUND RIGHT?

Jim,

Click HERE for the easiest way to do the hood strut replacement.

James Scott 05-04-2011 07:32 PM

Should I try to get parts for both at ONE supplier.. or is the best now.. to get the hood struts at SPD.. and the trunk struts at Lift Supports Depot.. ?? :cool:

svxcess 05-04-2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 675536)
Should I try to get parts for both at ONE supplier.. or is the best now.. to get the hood struts at SPD.. and the trunk struts at Lift Supports Depot.. ?? :cool:

Use SPD for the hood struts and Lift Supports depot for the trunk struts. Members have tried to use SPD struts for the rear without too much success. The specs were just not close enough...

kinz 05-04-2011 10:12 PM

The SPD trunk struts worked great for me. It was the ball studs that created the work. The SPD ones however don't hold the trunk open at all angles. It does quite simply just hold it up with no issues for me.

James Scott 05-05-2011 01:18 PM

OK!.. Do the nylon washers come with the SPD struts for the hood? or do I need to find them somewhere?? .. . Are they part of the stock system.. and retained for this use??? Does the hood ball stud just go in an existing threaded mount on the hood???? [I see list has (4) ball studs to order].. . I'm starting to hallucinate now.. . :eek:

Thanks for all your help! The Depot kits are ordered.. and SPD's will be today!

James Scott 05-05-2011 01:37 PM

Are you using the nylon bushing only to center the ball stud shaft in its hole? or are you also using the outer flange of the nylon washer to gain a lock washer effect when tightening the (regular) nut?

It seems a metal bushing might be more solid and stable.. along with a lock washer.. or better yet.. a lock nut.. ?? Just wondering.. . :confused:

icingdeath88 05-05-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 675592)
OK!.. Do the nylon washers come with the SPD struts for the hood? or do I need to find them somewhere?? .. . Are they part of the stock system.. and retained for this use??? Does the hood ball stud just go in an existing threaded mount on the hood???? [I see list has (4) ball studs to order].. . I'm starting to hallucinate now.. . :eek:

Thanks for all your help! The Depot kits are ordered.. and SPD's will be today!

The nylon washers are retained from the stock system, but you don't actually have to use them.

You need 2 ball studs for each hood strut, one that threads into a captive nut inside hood, one that you bolt to the modified stock mounting bracket on the car.

I'm actually going to order a couple sets of trunk struts now myself, I haven't done those as yet.

icingdeath88 05-05-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Scott (Post 675593)
Are you using the nylon bushing only to center the ball stud shaft in its hole? or are you also using the outer flange of the nylon washer to gain a lock washer effect when tightening the (regular) nut?

It seems a metal bushing might be more solid and stable.. along with a lock washer.. or better yet.. a lock nut.. ?? Just wondering.. . :confused:

A lock nut/washer or just a small washer would not be a bad idea. I think the nylon washer is just to center the ball stud in the hole.