The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Need water pump, radiator (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56908)

3.3H6 03-31-2011 07:01 PM

Need water pump, radiator

first off, is this ebayer ok http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...item4aa8b522f5

second, need a water pump

this a good deal? I also need belt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-97...item3cb547d587

Blacky 03-31-2011 09:31 PM

Re: Need water pump, radiator

I saw that radiator listing earlier tonight. It's an excellent price if it's an OEM rad. I'd send him an email to confirm. There are good Chinese copies available for around $100-130.00, I bought 2 of them and they have worked well for a couple of years.
Most people recommend a genuine Subaru water pump but the Ebay belt and pulley kits seem to be fine.

3.3H6 03-31-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 672560)
I saw that radiator listing earlier tonight. It's an excellent price if it's an OEM rad. I'd send him an email to confirm. There are good Chinese copies available for around $100-130.00, I bought 2 of them and they have worked well for a couple of years.
Most people recommend a genuine Subaru water pump but the Ebay belt and pulley kits seem to be fine.

yeah, I need to do what I can to keep the costs down, I dont have to pay for labor since the school's doing the swap, but I'm starting to run low on money

Subix 04-01-2011 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.3H6 (Post 672563)
yeah, I need to do what I can to keep the costs down, I dont have to pay for labor since the school's doing the swap, but I'm starting to run low on money

My mentality was the same as yours... until my eBay timing belt/water pump broke within less than 30k miles of service change. I got lucky with the chore of replacing the timing belt/water pump/labor charges twice because I went cheap the first time. Only after do issues arise do you wish you would have went pure OEM, especially the water pump.

Some people will swear that it's the way to go (cheaper non oem) and have had no problems with it all... others will be quick to point out the ebay water pump sucks (it does, trust me)...

To answer your original question:

Is it a good deal? No.

Mike621 04-01-2011 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 672572)
My mentality was the same as yours... until my eBay timing belt/water pump broke within less than 30k miles of service change. I got lucky with the chore of replacing the timing belt/water pump/labor charges twice because I went cheap the first time. Only after do issues arise do you wish you would have went pure OEM, especially the water pump.

Some people will swear that it's the way to go (cheaper non oem) and have had no problems with it all... others will be quick to point out the ebay water pump sucks (it does, trust me)...

To answer your original question:

Is it a good deal? No.

Clint, was it the waterpump or an idler which failed?

My advice is to go OEM with the waterpump and gasket. I had good luck with ebay timing kits on at least 5 different SVXs.

Freeman 04-01-2011 07:16 AM

I got one of the Chinese radiators and it crapped out on me after about a year. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Subix 04-01-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike621 (Post 672576)
Clint, was it the waterpump or an idler which failed?

My advice is to go OEM with the waterpump and gasket. I had good luck with ebay timing kits on at least 5 different SVXs.

Ultimately I think it was a combination of things causing the timing belt to break... not the idler's though as the new belt is just fine with the existing idlers. The water pump seemed terribly unbalanced (due to the casting) cheap shoddy job, which I can only imagine created some sort of pull/tug like jerking motion at high speeds... I had 2 pulley's seize on me (both belts broke) and the power steering pump fail (creating more stress I feel on the overall engine) but it finally crapped out a few months after having everything completely fixed.

3.3H6 04-01-2011 10:08 AM

OK, updated parts list as of today
(if stuff is listed twice with different name, I'm going by two lists)

Timing Belt Tensioner (185.13 NAPA)

Idler pulley (72.15 PartsPlus)

Timing Belt (108.23 PartsPlus 80.81 NAPA)

Water Pump (new) (103.31 Napa 232.11 PartsPlus)

Water Pump (remfd) + core (69.27 Napa)

CV boots Left inner (24.62 NAPA)

Power Steering Return Hose (18.14 NAPA 13.38 Parts Plus)

So should I go for the radiator I linked earlier or not? I just need something to replace the old one with, which is ruined.

BTW one of the instructors working on the car wanted to know if the front CV shafts from a legacy will fit an SVX.

icingdeath88 04-01-2011 10:28 AM

I think the Ebay radiators are worth a try. You might get a good one, and the only other options are OEM, used, and PWR.

1986nate 04-01-2011 11:54 AM

SVX axles only. Get the new "fwd" axles from autozone or Advance, can't remember which one, but they're $70 brand new. And no, no other axles will work.

Freeman 04-01-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 672604)
I think the Ebay radiators are worth a try. You might get a good one, and the only other options are OEM, used, and PWR.

Not true...

3.3H6 04-01-2011 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 672633)
Not true...

...at this point I don't care if my radiator is made by subaru or a bunch of chinese children, I just need a radiator for around 100 bucks so I can get this damn thing running before the end of the semester.

Cam 04-01-2011 03:52 PM

I have a Chinese made one. Bought it about 2 years ago. Still works fine...

3.3H6 04-01-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 672655)
I have a Chinese made one. Bought it about 2 years ago. Still works fine...

right, then I'll get one.

icingdeath88 04-01-2011 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 672633)
Not true...

Which part?