The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   torque converter unlocking (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37417)

Hocrest 02-09-2007 08:15 PM

torque converter unlocking

My torque converter is unlocking on the highway. I know why, I have my cooler plumbed to eliminate the radiator cooler, also it is front of the condensor, so it picks up NO heat from the radiator. Plus it is 25* or less for the past week.

When I'm running on the highway, it will be fine, but I watch my tranny temp gauge drop until it gets to about 100, the the TC unlocks. While unlocked the fluid warms a little and then it will lock back up.

My question is, will this warm - cool, lock - unlock cause problems??? Or is it just a minor annoyance. To fix it, I can either plumb it into the radiator, or even stick some cardboard in to block some flow...

Trevor 02-09-2007 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
My torque converter is unlocking on the highway. I know why, I have my cooler plumbed to eliminate the radiator cooler, also it is front of the condensor, so it picks up NO heat from the radiator. Plus it is 25* or less for the past week.

When I'm running on the highway, it will be fine, but I watch my tranny temp gauge drop until it gets to about 100, the the TC unlocks. While unlocked the fluid warms a little and then it will lock back up.

My question, is will this warm - cool, lock - unlock cause problems??? Or is it just a minor annoyance. To fix it, I can either plumb it into the radiator, or even stick some cardboard in to block some flow...

If it is possible with the cooler you have, you should mount it between the condenser and radiator, as mine is. I don't think that any damage could be or have been caused, as this is after all a normal function. However you should do something about it on the basis of possible wear and tear. Lock up frequently hunting off/on, obviously is not desirable.

Blanking off some of the cooler could be a good stopgap, provide you do not overdo it.

Hocrest 02-09-2007 08:54 PM

I put it in front of the condenser for maximum cooling during the summer. And it works great like that.

The locking/unlocking isn't constant up and down. But over a span of five to ten minutes.

ensteele 02-09-2007 08:56 PM

Do you have a temperature gauge?

Trevor 02-09-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest
I put it in front of the condenser for maximum cooling during the summer. And it works great like that.

The locking/unlocking isn't constant up and down. But over a span of five to ten minutes.

I for one, am confident that you know what you are about and you should therefore rely on your own judgement. ;)

Hocrest 02-09-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Do you have a temperature gauge?

Yeah an analog Autometer, it unlocks at about 100 and will lock at about 115-120. The sensor is in the line coming out of the transmission on it's way to the cooler. So the fluid going back to the trans will be lower than that.

Stevebsy 02-09-2007 09:22 PM

Cardboard FTW, at least spray paint it black so it looks nice :P Or go upscale and get some plastic sheet

I have the same problem with mine now that I have 2 coolers plumbed in, even at 70 it takes a while to lock up. I need some cardboard too. The 2 coolers work great for track days though, keeping things to a reasonable level...

Trevor 02-09-2007 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevebsy
Cardboard FTW, at least spray paint it black so it looks nice :P Or go upscale and get some plastic sheet

AND put some cotton wool behind it. :rolleyes: :) Spoiled cars are the SVX :D