The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   car shakes over 45mph (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30925)

Htownsvx 01-17-2006 06:34 AM

car shakes over 45mph

well i dont realy have a clue whats going on but i think it has something to do with the tranny but i hope not i just spent $3000 to fix the thing.

the car drive fine untill you get over 45 mph and the you can feel the hole car shake. last night i went to get some food and at like 30 or 35 mph it sounded like drive shaft or something right onder the center conscol was hitting something it was like a tapping sound but it was not a loud sound i had to turn down the radio and the heater to hear it

SilverSpear 01-17-2006 06:39 AM

go underneath your car and check that area between the cross member and the tranny... If everything seems to be in order then you have a bad wheel.

YellowBird 01-17-2006 01:53 PM

I had a bad shake one time too in my Silver (why did I sell that) and it just needed tires balanced.

But with someone just being under your car......I don't know.....doesn't sound good.

Keep us posted please.

dcarrb 01-17-2006 02:31 PM

You should take it back to the shop that serviced the transmission, ASAP.

dcb

SuBrat84 01-17-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
You should take it back to the shop that serviced the transmission, ASAP.

dcb

and if it's a bad CV Joint you tell them it's their fault its busted!!!

Earthworm 01-17-2006 02:49 PM

Is the driveshaft rubbing on the heat shield? Perhaps the U-joints are worn in on the driveshaft?

TomsSVX 01-17-2006 04:58 PM

get you tires balanced first, then shoot from there, the speed relative thing makes it sound like tires

Tom

ensteele 01-18-2006 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
get you tires balanced first, then shoot from there, the speed relative thing makes it sound like tires

Tom

I would guess wheels or tires. :)

dcarrb 01-18-2006 05:49 AM

Checking the wheels and tires sure wouldn't hurt, but that wouldn't explain the noise from the transmission hump, unless there's just something loose and rattling. Recent tranny overhaul + noise from the drivetrain + a pronounced balance issue = take it to the guys who pulled the transmission; the sooner; the better. Let THEM rule-out mount/driveline trouble.

dcb

dan_j_b 01-18-2006 05:38 PM

Does it only shake when the torque converter locks up? I had this happen on my 95 and it turned out the a bad coil pack was causing it to run rough and after TC lockup, it would be transmitted thoughout the car.

Another thought is the dogbone engine mount back by the intake. on my 92, it was disconnected and caused the engine to tip back and forth too far causing the tranny tail shaft to hit the bottom of the car, but that was mainly in reverse.

Dan

msvx95 01-19-2006 04:36 AM

Do you feel anything in the steering wheel? Does the steering wheel shudder or shake? If so, it's a wheel issue most likely.

Htownsvx 01-20-2006 10:33 AM

i got the tire balanced and that was not the problem.
i check the bearing tht hold the drive shaft in the center is worn and the bracket shakes i tryed to tighten the bolts but there as tight as they will go

so i was think that if i put a couple of washers on the bolt that could make the bolt tighter.

mbtoloczko 01-20-2006 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Htownsvx
i got the tire balanced and that was not the problem.
i check the bearing tht hold the drive shaft in the center is worn and the bracket shakes i tryed to tighten the bolts but there as tight as they will go

so i was think that if i put a couple of washers on the bolt that could make the bolt tighter.

The bearing is supported by a flexible rubber donut. If you grab the drive shaft near the center, its easy to deflect it 1/2" in any direction. Now, if you grab it and it just flops around without any spring force returning it to its original location, then there is a problem.

Htownsvx 01-20-2006 07:18 PM

ok i check it out and you can move the drive shaft and it will go back. but if you shake the drive shaft a little harder you can feel the whole bracket move.

i dont wanna take it back to the tranny people a.k.a cottams trans.
it is out of the 1 year 12,000 mile warrenty and they were a rip off to begin with. i dont think they did all that i asked for but how m i to tell them what they did and didnt. they gave me the run around every time i have been there with my car

dcarrb 01-23-2006 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Htownsvx
i dont wanna take it back to the tranny people a.k.a cottams trans. it is out of the 1 year 12,000 mile warrenty and they were a rip off to begin with.

Now that's a different story. You originally posted that you "just spent $3000 to fix" the transmission, leading me to think, like, recently. That's why I suggested you take it back.

That said, it seems to me you may need to enlist a pro to troubleshoot your problem, anyway. Good luck.

dcb