The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Chilto Subaru Repair manual, Any good? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10402)

CDG 04-29-2003 09:19 PM

Chilton Subaru Repair manual, Any good?

I'm kinda asking a rhetorical question because I just ordered one, but is: Chilton's Subaru Coupes/Sedans/Wagons 1985-96 Repair Manual (Chilton's Total Car Care Repair Manual) worth the $25US($40CAN)?

AFBeefcake 04-29-2003 10:16 PM

not realy at that price but better then nothing

I got one it has some stuff in it

Seraph 04-29-2003 11:09 PM

It is great for exploded diagrams. And some info on how to fix stuff but that's about it. It's cheap so it might be useful.

L

svx_commuter 04-30-2003 04:58 AM

I have seen that in the Library and I have a Chilton Legacy book. The FSM is better :) but more costly.

huck369 04-30-2003 05:20 AM

I have one, or at least I think it is the same one, they have 2 but (Chilton's Total Car Care Repair Manual) sounds like the better one, which is what I have, it has some of the basic wiring diagrams, and most info on your basic do-it-yourself type stuff, timing belts, fuel pumps, removing tranny (a must have for a SVX owner:D ) removing motor, typical stuff, nothing on the tranny enternals, but info for head gasket replacement, water pump replacement, ect.
I got mine for about $12 somewhere on sale, it's not a Factory service Manual, but well worth the cost.

Will try to remember to post the # of mine tonight.

Mr. Pockets 04-30-2003 08:19 AM

It's okay, but a little short on specifics since it covers everything Subaru made from like 86 to 95 or something. I have a couple copies.

I suppose that it's uniquely useful to me, since I have three of the cars covered in that one manual - an SVX, a Legacy and a Justy. :D

huck369 04-30-2003 08:42 AM

Yeah, it covers all my Subies, my XT6, SVX, Imprezas, and the Legacys I've had since I got the Manual, pretty good for a all around Subaru manual.

Seraph 04-30-2003 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369
Yeah, it covers all my Subies, my XT6, SVX, Imprezas, and the Legacys I've had since I got the Manual, pretty good for a all around Subaru manual.
I have the same one... Not the FSM but it's ok.

L

alex_umn 05-10-2003 12:05 PM

It's decent. I find mispellings all the time in the Chilton manual, which sorta makes me question the rest of the content.

fwiw...

ensteele 05-10-2003 03:27 PM

I use both that one along with the FSM to give me an additonal view on things. It is pretty good for a manual that is not put out by Subaru. You can get them at most auto part stores for around $15.00 US. :)

seasvx 05-10-2003 06:54 PM

Re: Chilton Subaru Repair manual, Any good?

Quote:

Originally posted by CDG
Chilton's Subaru Coupes/Sedans/Wagons 1985-96 Repair Manual: worth the $25US($40CAN)?
I have that exact book. I'm not a mechanic, so I use it for reference but quite a bit the stuff I want to read about seems not to be there. I would not like to do any serious repair/teardown/reassembly with this as my only resource. But then that's what Mike @ Smart Subaru is for!

STORMINORMAN 05-11-2003 09:14 AM

Almost ANY manual can help!

I have one. If it saves you by reducing BY JUST 1 HOUR either the time you spend working on you car OR the time the dealer is billing you for a repair it has paid for itself, IMHO.

Not a Factory Manual, but not bad, either.;)

Landshark 05-11-2003 11:24 AM

its OK, but don't believe how easy some of the procedures sound - they leave out a LOT of the details. for example, the PCV replacement section says: "remove the PCV valve." oh, yeeeeaaahhh, so easy! it forgot to mention you need to be a contortionist, with a crows foot wrench! :D

CDG 05-11-2003 05:29 PM

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm not expecting perfection out of this manual, as lomg as it has a few helpfull items.
I tend you want to take on a project, but feel bad asking people to scan in there Tech pages for me. I will eventually go for the Full Suby manuals, but for now, I'll settle for the aftermarket one.