The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Finally got car back, and more problems (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21080)

HighwayUFO 09-02-2004 10:29 PM

Finally got car back, and more problems

I took my car in to Tom Scott Subaru to get some pulley problems fixed and when I get my car back, I decide to put new pads on the left rear. All the rest of my pads aren't that worn so I just needed to catch up and quit being lazy. So I get the pads on and finish up all the work and take off down the street with two of my friends. Get to the road that is nice and level and hammer it.

I get up to 80ish and hit the brakes. The SVX stopped on a dime. I get out after I stop and inspect the rotor and caliper for any signs of things not good. Well, I got what I was looking for.

The rotor was as red as the brimstone of the 7th circle of Hell. Well, this led to an immediate panic attack per the well being of my car. I let it sit on the side of the road for about an hour and return home at a leisurely 25 MPH and get to repeat the whole brake pad replacement procedure again. I had some old pads that were worn down a little more than the ones that I had just used.

The SVX stops great now but the brake pedal is a little squishy for my tastes. Brake tuning will happen tomorrow after work.

After this whole incident, the SVX has no warped rotors. In your face pessimists.

Keith

Royal Tiger 09-03-2004 07:38 AM

Civic, I checked out your link to your car pics. Nice. I really like the blue interior neon. Dresses up the inside. Wheels look great as well.

Earthworm 09-03-2004 09:41 AM

You aren't mismatching brake pads I hope?

Did you clean off the rotors when you changed pads? I just changed fronts on mine and ground off the lip on the outer edge of the rotor. Also chipped off the deposit/rust on the inner edge just so the new pads sit flush on the rotor face.

Chiketkd 09-03-2004 09:41 AM

Keith,

Anytime you do a pad change, you should do a few safe & firm stops from 30mph and then 45 mph to properly bed the new material in your rotors.

What you probably experienced was something called 'green fade'.

-Chike

tancred 09-03-2004 10:09 AM

They only way I have ever gotten a brake rotor to glow as to hold the brakes down, have the car in gear and then manually fire the ol nitrous....sparks came out too! hehe... glad it wasnt my prelude...:D

HighwayUFO 09-05-2004 01:58 PM

I had to drive a little over 3 miles to get to the road I did the 80-0 stop on. On the way out I bedded the brakes at every 10 MPH interval. Just a little while longer and I'll be rolling Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors with Brembo Calipers and Hawk Racing pads.

Come on good paycheck!!!1!!

Keith

Motorsport-SVX 09-07-2004 11:52 PM

dude

I know you called last week, I erased your message by
accident before writing down your # !!!
sorry....
whats up ?

Matthewmongan 09-08-2004 12:10 AM

as red as the brimstone of the 7th circle of Hell

i have never heard that one before

SVXXVS 09-08-2004 06:26 PM

I can vouch for them being red as the brimstone of the 7th circle of hell!.
I saw it in person.
~Kyle~

P.S. Hi. Im new here.

Matthewmongan 09-08-2004 07:25 PM

how many opertunities do you get to describe something 'as red as the brimstone in the 7th circle of hell'

Royal Tiger 09-09-2004 11:22 AM

Appearently alot in Idaho. :)