The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Digital Photo Size Options (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31394)

svxcess 02-07-2006 10:03 AM

Digital Photo Size Options

I finally moved into the digital age with a Sony T-9 6 megapixel digital camera. This is the first pocket camera with image stabilization/steady shot and it takes awesome pictures.

It also gives me resizing options in the camera and I want to know the best size to put into my locker that gives me the sharpest photos, without taking a long time to load. here are my options:

6M = 2816x2112 pixels
3M = 2048x1536 pixels
1M = 1280x960 pixels
VGA (Email) = 640x480 pixels

I am new to this technology and know that many of the more experienced members have the answer.

Landshark 02-07-2006 10:11 AM

VGA - the other sizes will be frickin' huge.

Earthworm 02-07-2006 10:43 AM

My recommendation: Take all your shots at the highest setting on the camera then crop/resize on the computer until the file size <100kb.

Reason: sometimes you may not want the entire picture or would like to zoom in on a particular section of the shot. This way you get the best quality possible.

newsvx 02-07-2006 11:05 AM

Totally agree with Dave. Take the best shot you can to start with, and then zoom in on the pic (when viewing the at the "playback" setting), crop it (as Dave said) and then "save" THAT cropping of your pic in the VGA format, which is for e-mail. The other formats (especially at 6M) are, as Landshark said) really huge. This way, you will have a high definition photo and a low resolution one that will easily download to your locker and members will also be able to download the images to see them.

I have a Sony also, and I love it. My only problem is that is has SOOOO many settings!!

Hey, John, how about some good examples of the pics it takes....
Harry

Landshark 02-07-2006 11:25 AM

^
the better answer. :)

or if you have a big enough memory card, you can take a shot at high resolution for your archives, and take the same shot at VGA for your locker.

Electrophil 02-07-2006 11:41 AM

You can take your high resolution shots and right click them, then choose "send to" ... "email recipient". Windows will automatically ask if you want to resize, and does a great job doing it. Just pluck the resized shot out of the new email it gives you, rename it, and now you have both.

svxcess 02-07-2006 11:42 AM

Thanks for all the input. The highest resolution, cropping in the camera, and saving as VGA seems the way to go.

I have a 1GB memory card in this camera. The main reason is that in the video movie mode (fine) it records at 30fps with sound. This rivals the quality of my camcorder. The downside is that it also uses 1.3M of memory for each SECOND of video. 12 1/2 minutes of video will fill up this card. Standard mode gives me 45 minutes.

SSSVX 02-07-2006 12:08 PM

I agree with Dave's recommendation.

I usually take the pictures at decent quality with the size of my memory card can handle. If I need to upload to the web, I will resize/compress them.....and they usually stay around 60kb.....that really helps in viewing/loading.

intelisevil 02-07-2006 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
Thanks for all the input. The highest resolution, cropping in the camera, and saving as VGA seems the way to go.

I wouldn't crop in the camera.

Take all photos at the highest quality your camera can support, don't use any of the camera's fancy features, (like sepia tone filter), you can't 'undo' it later. Make a folder named 'originals' on your computer, transfer all of your images into this folder. DO NOT TOUCH THE FILES IN THIS FOLDER! Put copies of the images you want to edit into another folder, play with these copies to your heart's content, with the knowledge that you still have a safe original if you decide you want to print out a 24" X 36" poster someday.

I have a Canon EOS D60 SLR 6.3 megapixel camera. Yes, it cost more than I paid for my SVX. I've printed out a few of my pictures up to about 36" X 48" and I'm amazed at the quality of the output! I have access to a few neat toys at work . . . ;)

Dan

NikFu S. 02-07-2006 07:30 PM

Man that sounds like the camera for me.

Seraph 02-07-2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess

I have a 1GB memory card in this camera. The main reason is that in the video movie mode (fine) it records at 30fps with sound. This rivals the quality of my camcorder. The downside is that it also uses 1.3M of memory for each SECOND of video. 12 1/2 minutes of video will fill up this card. Standard mode gives me 45 minutes.

That's about the same that I get on my Canon SD400

n00b on demand 02-07-2006 09:25 PM

whats the deal with the resolutions...mine is set to one below the highest resolution...what if i were to put it to the highest? would it make a difference in quality?

Seraph 02-07-2006 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00b on demand
whats the deal with the resolutions...mine is set to one below the highest resolution...what if i were to put it to the highest? would it make a difference in quality?

Yes. The higher the resolution, the bigger you can print clearly. I don't really want to get into details on it. :)

ensteele 02-07-2006 10:32 PM

What Lwin and David said. :)

svxcess 02-08-2006 09:58 AM

I have been playing with the camera for awhile and experimenting. I tried uploading 3.2M images and resizing them to 640x480 on the computer. I also resized them in the camera as VGA 640x480 and uploaded them. Either way, the quality seems to remain the same. I also played with transferring images from the computer back into the camera for viewing or showing on TV

Anything I want to save at the highest resolution for printing I will probably save to a removable flash drive. That way, I am not filling up my hard drive.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Here are some samples, all shot in VGA format and uploaded. At this resolution, the 1GB memory card stores 14,821 images (enough to get us through Reading VII)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...cess/33646.JPG

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...cess/33647.JPG

And in honor of Reading VII, this one. Located on the facade, above and between the 2nd and 3rd column from the left. Shot in macro mode at about 3/8" without flash

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/fil...cess/33648.JPG