The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Motor failure (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58847)

sikend667 12-12-2011 03:16 PM

Motor failure

Ok so had an engine failure yesterday seals on the cam covers is gone but also leaking oil out of the intake (the underside of the spherical thing in the middle) will not stay running but no traces of oil in the water or visa versa. Also ticking very hard could have possibly slipped timing. Thanks for any input

NikFu S. 12-12-2011 03:33 PM

Never mind, missed the part where you said it won't stay running. Need new glasses or something.

SVXRide 12-12-2011 03:33 PM

Re: Motor failure

Oil under the intake is somewhat normal (my guess is your PCV is clogged). Have you pulled the oil drain plug to see if there are any metal shaving in the oil? Leaking oil, by itself, will not cause an engine failure as long as you keep the oil level up by continuing to add oil.

-Bill

LastSVXintheChi 12-12-2011 04:56 PM

mine leaks like crazy...Nate says its the cam seals and the valve covers on mine...i have to add about a quart every 2 weeks or so :eek:

sikend667 12-12-2011 07:38 PM

Didn't know if the pcv would keep it from running still need to drawing the oil to check if the berings are shot

sikend667 12-12-2011 08:58 PM

double post

Crazy_pilot 12-13-2011 07:13 AM

1. That was painful to read.

2. Drain oil to look for metal shavings/chewed bearings.

3. Does the car start and then stall? Or not start at all? Even with utterly annihilated bearings the car should still start (Mine would still run with fingernail-sized pieces of metal falling out of it)

4. Clogged PCV will not stop the car from running. If the crankcase builds too much pressure it will simply pop your dipstick out and breath that way.

5. EG33 is non-interference. Slipped timing will not cause piston/valve collision.

sikend667 12-15-2011 09:05 PM

it stalls after starting RPM bounces allover the place extremely loud as well like it has slipped timing so what else could the ticking be? shot rings? all i know is i wish my wonderwedge would have broke down instead

Uncamitzi 12-16-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikend667 (Post 693210)
it stalls after starting RPM bounces allover the place extremely loud as well like it has slipped timing so what else could the ticking be? shot rings? all i know is i wish my wonderwedge would have broke down instead

Are you getting a CEL? this sounds like it might be an intake/fuel injection problem.. MAF might need to be cleaned... Various solutions in the "How-to Documents"

Mike621 12-16-2011 07:50 AM

1) Punctuation

2) List your symptoms in a clear, concise manner and we will do what we can to assist you.

3) From what you are saying, this does not sound like a motor related failure. I have personally witnessed catastrophic engine failure in a SVX on more than one occasion and this does not sound indicative of such.