The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   M/T Starter (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56637)

icingdeath88 02-24-2011 06:32 PM

M/T Starter

Hi all, quick question for some of you guys who have experience with MT swaps. I feel like the car takes a little bit longer to start than it did before the swap. Like the starter has to try harder or something? Is that maybe just because it's a more difficult engine to get going than the engine it was designed for? I think the starter is from an STi, but no way to be sure. (Do 5-speed starters even fit on 6-speeds?)

Any other ideas?

pile o' wrx 02-24-2011 06:52 PM

Re: M/T Starter

Factoring in the mass of the clutch/flywheel as a possible subjective cause of your drag?
Do a battery hygrometer test, check the cables for corrosion, and do an amp check before ruling out a going south starter.

STI's come with the standard drive type starter, whereas earlier generations of Subies came with gear reduction starters. I prefer the earlier style units for ease of starting ability.

Believe the starters are the same whether 4eat or 5/6mt, not interchangeable. Curious as to whether the earlier gear reduction starters mount in the standard drive location. I've never rebuilt a standard drive unit, but the parts to rebuild a gear reduction version are about $8, my cost.

--Correction-- Different part numbers for both the 4eat and 5mt versions.

Wikedjuggalo 02-24-2011 07:12 PM

my first thought when I started my 5spd for the first time was it started quicker but could have just been me.

icingdeath88 02-24-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pile o' wrx (Post 669719)
Believe the starters are the same whether 4eat or 5/6mt, and interchangeable, aside from the diff I've listed.

Do you mean internally? Because the 4eat starter on the SVX is definitely not interchangeable. Anyway, I don't think the starter is bad, I was just wondering if maybe it's underpowered for the EG33 or something.

It could be that the flywheel/pp are kinda heavy. They seemed heavy to me, but I don't think it would be any heavier than the torque converter.

The battery is a new optima battery and although the wires are not 100% corrosion free, they're the same as they were before the swap. The connection to the starter I know is better than it was before the swap because I made sure it was nice and clean and super tightened down.

Anything usual suspects that could affect how quick it starts? It drives beautifully and idles great about 95% of the time (occasionally the idle dips down a bit when coming to a stop). Maybe I just need to change out the fuel and air filters and clean the MAF and stuff. Or maybe it needs plugs. I have no maintenance records whatsoever so I guess I should do all the regular maintenance stuff preventatively...

pile o' wrx 02-24-2011 09:07 PM

Stand corrected and previous post edited.

Curious as to whether the earlier gear reduction starters mount in the standard drive location.

Is your issue more of a subjective nature or have you observed the starter's cranking output gradually diminishing?

icingdeath88 02-24-2011 10:14 PM

Pretty subjective. Doesn't seem to have changed, just seems to take longer to start than before the swap.