The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Anyone have or have driven a VW Passat? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40852)

momzsvx 09-21-2007 05:33 AM

Anyone have or have driven a VW Passat?

I need a four door vehicle as three kids in and out for school in an svx is not working out smoothly along with back packs. I must get rid of one of my svx’s and I am looking forward to trading one of mine along with a miniscule cash amount for a 99 or 2001 car. I had went to look at a 99 yesterday and the transmission needed replaced. I have no knowledge about these cars. I do like the looks of them for my price range. If anyone can enlighten me, I would appreciate it. :)

Speedklix 09-21-2007 05:49 AM

Having driven every trim level of every model VW made up to about 2005, i can claim the passat to be a decent car. avoid the ones with swing out cupholders if you plan to use them... what a mess! The base model is a turbo 4 which is awesome on gas compared to the rest of them.. until you load it with people anyway. the W8 is tons of fun, but would not recommend buying one to family peeps. The V6 models are really the best of all worlds. You can't beat on them, drive it like a benz (gentle). You'll be pleased with the power in the v6, nothing impressive but gets the job done. and if you get a 4motion, they are great in the snow but not much else (rain is ok, dirt meh, ice NO WAY). The stock breaks on all of them wear quick and leave the wheels a mess. I don't know what else to say really... don't even look at jettas, your kids will hate you when they get bigger. NO leg room, passats are much better in the back.

Landshark 09-21-2007 06:43 AM

if you like electrical problems, then its a fine choice. :tongue:

Manarius 09-21-2007 06:47 AM

If you like driving around junk - that's okay too :rolleyes:

RSVX 09-21-2007 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landshark (Post 494680)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 494681)
If you like driving around junk - that's okay too :rolleyes:

:lol: :ninja:

Speedklix 09-21-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

easy solution --> don't buy one owned by an idiot

avoid cars with aftermarket alarms/starter stereo lamp etc..

...legacies are nice too ;)

Landshark 09-21-2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedklix (Post 494696)
easy solution --> don't buy one owned by an idiot

avoid cars with aftermarket alarms/starter stereo lamp etc..

...legacies are nice too ;)

let's see .... friends wife's brand NEW Beetle had power window problems and the gas tank lid got stuck after a few months of ownership before it was traded.

guy at work has a Golf/Rabbit (?) he bought NEW and can never keep the right taillights working, as well as the horn that goes off when he's driving.

i read a car mag road test review of the Phaeton (assuming a NEW one), and it was like a comedy bit with all the trouble they had with the Nav and climate controls.

friend was a service manager at a VW/Subaru dealer, and said he loved VW's .... because he always had steady work. :lol:

i never liked VW's, but i do like Audi's and Mercedes. i just would never buy any of them because i like cars that work the way they are supposed to.

budbaer 09-21-2007 09:37 AM

Two of the most dependable cars that I have owned were a 1986 Scirocco 16v and a 1987 Scirocco 16v. Sciroccos were also designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro. If I found one in right condition, I would own another.

SVXyGirl 09-21-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momzsvx (Post 494667)
I need a four door vehicle as three kids in and out for school in an svx is not working out smoothly along with back packs. I must get rid of one of my svx’s and I am looking forward to trading one of mine along with a miniscule cash amount for a 99 or 2001 car.

Keep the SVXs...trade the kids.

Or make them walk..:lol:

It's Just Eric 09-21-2007 10:30 AM

...Tell them to pack lightly?
Meh, they only gotta deal with it till they are what? 16? 17? and Im sure the last few years worth they wont mind being carted around in a super retro-futuristic car

As for the vee dub,. My neibor has one. She seems to like it. I helped detail it once, and I can say the interior was nice...Fit and finish was great...Seems to be built pretty well. Then again, I know absolutely nothing about the mechnical bits

jeffast 09-21-2007 11:44 AM

get a legacy, volkswagons are expensive to fix break down allot, and have lots of issues, i wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole

budbaer 09-21-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffast (Post 494753)
get a legacy, volkswagons are expensive to fix break down allot, and have lots of issues, i wouldn't touch one with a ten foot pole

Isn't it an oxymoron to say that another car is expensive to fix on an SVX website?

Manarius 09-21-2007 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budbaer (Post 494764)
Isn't it an oxymoron to say that another car is expensive to fix on an SVX website?

SVX fixes are only expensive if you don't do the work yourself.

GreenMarine 09-21-2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

I second that.... My only question is this: "What's wrong with a 2001 Subaru Outback?" They are great cars and will probably outlast the VW :)

wawazat?? 09-21-2007 04:19 PM

I owned a 2001 Passat 1.8t, 5 speed wagon. Great car. No problems over 80k miles of ownership. They are susceptible to oil sludge issues if the oil is not changed regularly.

My father-in-law had a '99 Passat V-6 automatic sedan that he bought new. Terrible car with many problems.