The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Replace or Resurface? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21104)

SubaRyu 09-03-2004 06:21 PM

Replace or Resurface?

So my brake started to vibrate a lot espesially when I brake from high speed, say 60-80mph. Sometimes that scared me off... This doesn't happen so much with low speed or when its cold.

Rotors warped?

I'm thinking still... should I get new rotors? or resurface the rotors? If I resurface it, will the same thing happen again?

If anyone knows good new brake rotors or solution, I would really appreciate to hear!!

-Ryu

svxfiles 09-03-2004 07:50 PM

My Race Concepts cadmium plated, dimpled and slotted rotors are still not warped after a year and a half of hi speed and hard braking. With their pads, stainless steel lines it's almost as much fun to stop as it is to go!! And absolutely no brake dust. Tom

Bxsvx 09-03-2004 10:25 PM

Is your ball joints in good shape? I thought my rotors were bad also, drive at high speeds and then when I brake, it shudders etc... So I changed my ball joints because I knew it they were bad to begin with, now the rotors are excellent no fading, no shuddering. Good luck :)

Gargoyle 09-04-2004 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxfiles
My Race Concepts cadmium plated, dimpled and slotted rotors are still not warped after a year and a half of hi speed and hard braking. With their pads, stainless steel lines it's almost as much fun to stop as it is to go!! And absolutely no brake dust. Tom
Ditto Ditto Ditto & Ditto ( Except for I do get a small amount of brake dust ) :D
If you call raceconcepts about parts be sure to tell them you where refered from here & you will get a good price. I got the lines for my birthday & I bought the rotors & Pads & I think all 4 rotors & pads was around $ 300 & worth every cent..
Anycar that can get up to speed & go as fast as our cars can , really NEED's to be able to stop as fast as it gettiups:cool:

SubaRyu 09-04-2004 12:03 PM

Thanks guys for the info.
I just checked out the Raceconcepts website.. are these the one you guys were talking about?

So, so far nobody voted for resurfacing the rotors?? :D

SubaRyu 09-04-2004 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops, I thought I attached the price image.. hope the image will be attached to this thread..

BoondockSVX 09-05-2004 10:35 PM

Rotors do not warp. You have overheated your pads. Get your rotors resurfaced, and use some high performance pads. Your problems will be gone.

- Jim

seasvx 09-06-2004 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SubaRyu
So, so far nobody voted for resurfacing the rotors?? :D
ok, i will. bought the car w/38K and slowly over the last 3 yrs front brake vibration kept increasing. was ready to go the new cryo-rotor route, took it into Smart Service instead, they checked the rotors, found enough material to resurface, did it, gave the car back to me for $150, problem gone.

BoondockSVX 09-06-2004 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by seasvx
ok, i will. bought the car w/38K and slowly over the last 3 yrs front brake vibration kept increasing. was ready to go the new cryo-rotor route, took it into Smart Service instead, they checked the rotors, found enough material to resurface, did it, gave the car back to me for $150, problem gone.
HOLY CRAP! You got served. I take my rotors to a local car parts store.... Resurfacing is $15 each.

HighwayUFO 09-07-2004 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BoondockSVX
Rotors do not warp. You have overheated your pads. Get your rotors resurfaced, and use some high performance pads. Your problems will be gone.

- Jim

Um...Yeah, rotors do warp. It may not look like it, but yes they do. I have one that is off the SVX and it doesn't lay flush on a flat surface.

Keith

BoondockSVX 09-07-2004 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by civic_slayer

Um...Yeah, rotors do warp. It may not look like it, but yes they do. I have one that is off the SVX and it doesn't lay flush on a flat surface.

Keith

That isn't warping. What happened is that your pads deposited unevenly on the surface of your rotor, and under high heat, the cast iron begins to absorb the material and become cementite, an iron carbide. Since cementite is very hard, it does not wear like a normal rotor, so other parts of your rotors are wearing normally, and the cementite is not wearing much at all. This is why your rotor will not sit flush on a flat surface: One part is worn, the other is cementite.

Rotors do not warp.

- Jim

BoondockSVX 09-07-2004 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by civic_slayer

Um...Yeah, rotors do warp

Forgot the link:

http://www.stoptech.com/whitepapers/...otors_myth.htm

I'm pretty sure he knew more about braking systems than you or I ever will.