The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Problem with the hood. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20444)

yellowledbetter 08-04-2004 08:55 PM

Problem with the hood.

ok, this is a pretty simple dilemma. THe hood won't stay up. Not a huge deal, but it makes checking under the thing a pain, especially if im not at home. Is there an easy fix to this?

n00b on demand 08-04-2004 08:58 PM

I personally hate the hood we have because it has nothing to hold it up. Mine stays up fine in the summer but in the winter it will never stay up. havent found a fix for this yet.

lee 08-04-2004 09:15 PM

Re: Problem with the hood.

Quote:

Originally posted by yellowledbetter
ok, this is a pretty simple dilemma. THe hood won't stay up. Not a huge deal, but it makes checking under the thing a pain, especially if im not at home. Is there an easy fix to this?
yes, replace the struts. you might want to prop the hood up, take one end loose from both and see if both are bad, or just one (one failed strut can be enough to keep the hood from staying up). I think the struts can only be sourced from a Subaru dealer.

Hocrest 08-04-2004 09:17 PM

I used a metal pole about 40" long before I got new struts.

I've seen someone (Nubs iirc) use a short length of rubber hose with a slit in it, slipped over the shiney part of the strut.

ensteele 08-04-2004 10:31 PM

There are sources for the Subaru struts, but I don't know of anyone who has got after market ones to work. You can buy used ones, but you get what you pay for. If you need part numbers, let me know. :)

AFBeefcake 08-05-2004 01:55 PM

I got after market lifters on my car, but I don't have the stock hood on my car.

ensteele 08-05-2004 02:21 PM

I don't use the struts on my Carbon Fiber Hood. I use a metal rod. :)

Myetball 08-05-2004 03:07 PM

I bought one of THESE for $8.50 + s/h. Works like a charm and beats the price of new lift supports. I got mine from another tool supplier, just can't remember who...but it really doesn't matter where you buy.

Earthworm 08-06-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hocrest
I've seen someone (Nubs iirc) use a short length of rubber hose with a slit in it, slipped over the shiney part of the strut.
Hey, that was my "fix" that I unleashed at Reading 5. I actually gave one away when I was there.

ensteele 08-06-2004 06:06 PM

Show us your special part !!! :)

Myetball 08-06-2004 08:44 PM

Figured the link would have worked. It's called a universal lift support clamp. Here's a pic.

http://bb.1asphost.com/Myetball/Forumpics/67150.jpg

DWAYN 08-07-2004 12:56 AM

i double clicked on the underlined word these

it showed the picture and displayed other data
thanks dwayn

TXCESSVX 08-07-2004 12:25 PM

hood struts

I used a pair of struts from the junkyard that I paid $5 each. (make sure they are still good before you buy them) They only required a very minor modification to make fit just right.

They were from a hood on a 1990? Buick Riviera.
(Be sure and prop up the hood prior to removal. Remove and keep the retainer clip locks when you pop off the struts from the doner vehicle)

All I had to do was drill an appropriate sized hole thru the plastic ball end that mounts to the body and run the origional bolt thru. Be sure and re-use the bolt bushing at that mounting point.

As for the other end, spread open the retainer clip and set it almost into the slots they came out of. Then pop that end onto the swivle ball and seat the locking clip into place.

Works as good or better than OEM.

I think the Buick hood might have been a little heavier than the SVX hood, and is made to hold a heavier load.

I'm still looking for a similar set for my trunk lid.

morris

immortal_suby 08-07-2004 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm

Hey, that was my "fix" that I unleashed at Reading 5. I actually gave one away when I was there.

that's brilliant!

Earthworm 08-09-2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Show us your special part !!! :)
I'll take a picture of my special part and post it here for everyone to see.