The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   i need a little help resolving a tall tale. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1996)

1994SubaruSVX 11-15-2001 12:21 PM

i need a little help resolving a tall tale.

i got a friend who wants to modify a justy (yes i know) and he was telling about some diesel speed truck that runs in the salt flats. anyway he said the truck had five turbos and two superchargers.

first of all is there a limit to the number of turbos you can put on a car? i have only ever seen or heard of two at a time. (maybe three)

secondly is it possible to run a car with different types of induction systems? (turbo and supercharger)

lastly what would be the advantage to doing something like that?

(maybe this should be in the technical forum.....randy feel free to move it if you think it should be there.)

cocacola08 11-15-2001 12:50 PM

I've head of quad-turbo, but never combining super & turbo

Mr. Pockets 11-15-2001 01:03 PM

Re: i need a little help resolving a tall tale.

Quote:

Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
i got a friend who wants to modify a justy (yes i know) and he was telling about some diesel speed truck that runs in the salt flats. anyway he said the truck had five turbos and two superchargers.

first of all is there a limit to the number of turbos you can put on a car? i have only ever seen or heard of two at a time. (maybe three)

secondly is it possible to run a car with different types of induction systems? (turbo and supercharger)

lastly what would be the advantage to doing something like that?

(maybe this should be in the technical forum.....randy feel free to move it if you think it should be there.)

I know where your friend saw it. Last week on Speedvision there was an episode of Classic Road Show filmed on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I watched it, and got into work later than usual, because there were LSR classes I'd never seen before.

One of those classes was Diesel. Two trucks were featured. One of them was a 40s semi tractor in which the owner had dropped a 12 or 16-cyl Diesel engine he got out of a tugboat. The two superchargers, and the four turbochargers feeding them, produced 62 pounds of boost.

I believe their top speed was somewhere around 230mph. The noise and the column of sooty Diesel smoke was impressive, to be sure.

Mr. Pockets 11-15-2001 01:10 PM

I found it...

It was a pain in the ass, but I found the home site for 'The Phoenix,' which is the truck in question.

http://www.phoenixdiesel.com/

Heh...an estimated HP rating of 3750+...

alex_umn 11-15-2001 02:10 PM

As a side note, there have been some cars out there with both super- and turbochargers. I think the arguement is that with a hi-boost turbo, power will be low until the exhaust is able to turn the turbine, so power is low until maybe 3500 rpm or somesuch. The supercharger is mechanicaly driven off the engine crank, so it will operate throughout the rpm range (theoretically), and thus take care of the low-end power issues.

I think some custom-modified Ferraris have had both systems...and for some reason some Mazda in the European market sticks out in my minds as well.

Anyone interested in a diesel SVX?

Just kidding.

1994SubaruSVX 11-15-2001 02:22 PM

well.....now i feel horrible...

i beat this guy up on the fact that there is no way anyone would be stupid enough to put both a turbo and supercharger on any car. i kind of believed him about the semi.....only because there is no way anyone could make that up.

this is one of those keep your mouth shut if you are absolutely sure moments. :o :rolleyes:

oab_au 11-15-2001 04:22 PM

GM Diesel blowers

If the motor was a GM diesel. They use a positive displacement blower to start and run, being a two stroke with no crankcase compression. The turbo for running boost The bigger V engines have a pair of each.

I don't think it would fit under the SVX hood, though 'Huck" might squeeze it in, with the 10 speed behind. :cool:

Harvey.

SVXphile 11-15-2001 04:59 PM

Phoenix...the truck

Did anyone else catch this in the description of the truck?

<Rear Wheels: Boeing 727 Main Gear>

I guess they can handle the weight!:D Don

Mr. Pockets 11-15-2001 05:02 PM

Re: Phoenix...the truck

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
Did anyone else catch this in the description of the truck?

<Rear Wheels: Boeing 727 Main Gear>

I guess they can handle the weight!:D Don

I did, and I was wondering about the weight figure right after: 18,000 pounds. The way it's written, it looks like they're saying the wheels weigh 18,000 pounds...but I figure they mean the whole truck...

SVXphile 11-15-2001 05:12 PM

Oh chute!!!!

...and I wonder how many parachutes it takes to slow all that down from 200+mph?

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Nelly!!!!!!!!

"Antelope Freeway...1 mile"......."Antelope Freeway...1/2 mile"......"Antelope Freeway.......

Mr. Pockets 11-15-2001 05:14 PM

Re: Oh chute!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
...and I wonder how many parachutes it takes to slow all that down from 200+mph?

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Nelly!!!!!!!!

"Antelope Freeway...1 mile"......."Antelope Freeway...1/2 mile"......"Antelope Freeway.......

We may have finally found a vehicle that is more effective at warping its rotors. :)

I shouldn't talk - I'm about to replace mine and they're original with 127k miles on them. :)

SVXphile 11-15-2001 05:34 PM

rotors

Speaking of rotors, have you ever seen those pictures from the underside of the Nascar cars? Wheel cams or rotor cams or something like that. Especially at road courses or Martinsville? Boy those suckers get cherry red! Sometimes they even melt the bead on the tires an blow them out. Heaps of heat!
Don

huck369 11-15-2001 05:57 PM

Re: GM Diesel blowers

Quote:

Originally posted by oab_au

I don't think it would fit under the SVX hood, though 'Huck" might squeeze it in, with the 10 speed behind. :cool:

Harvey.

HEY! My next project!:eek:
Well........Maybe not, but I would like to fab up a Supercharger for my SVX (never did like turbos {no offense to anyone with one}), but don't see having the cash flow for a major project like that in my near future:(

I'll just have to be happy with my 5-Speed for awhile:) ;) :D :p

Chris 11-15-2001 07:17 PM

Both Super & Turbo

Many of the trucks I drove in the military had both superchargers AND tubos on them. The SuperHET (heavy equipment transport-to haul tanks) has a Detriot diesel, two stroke, V-8 with twin turbos feeding a large roots supercharger. Most of these monster engines are refered to as the Detroit Super Silver "E" series if I recall right. Also if memory serves me right the PLS (patetized loading system) and the HEMTT all use similar versions of this motor.

249SVX 11-15-2001 10:28 PM

Re: Both Super & Turbo

About the different induction thingy. There was a MK1 MR2 (modified) that used the supercharger to spool up the big a***d turbo that was on it. Made somewhere around 400hp. Not bad for a 1.6 liter.:)