The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Timing belt feeler (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54794)

dragoontwo 06-10-2010 06:34 PM

Timing belt feeler

I know I haven't been on here in a while, but my SVX was down for a bit and I was enjoying my new Hypermotard.

I want to get some feed back on a possible timing belt group buy. The timing belt I'm talking about is the Power Enterprise Kevlar II timing belt. I've been in contact with someone from the company, and if there are enough people interested I will go ahead and get the ball officially rolling. There needs to be a minimum of 50 people and they will be priced comparatively to the other belts on their page plus a discount. If enough interest is shown, I will get an official price quote.

Mike

ensteele 06-10-2010 06:57 PM

Re: Timing belt feeler

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoontwo (Post 649741)
I know I haven't been on here in a while, but my SVX was down for a bit and I was enjoying my new Hypermotard.

I want to get some feed back on a possible timing belt group buy. The timing belt I'm talking about is the Power Enterprise Kevlar II timing belt. I've been in contact with someone from the company, and if there are enough people interested I will go ahead and get the ball officially rolling. There needs to be a minimum of 50 people and they will be priced comparatively to the other belts on their page plus a discount. If enough interest is shown, I will get an official price quote.

Mike

I think you will have to have a price before members will show any interest at all. You may have trouble getting 50 orders, but you could get a price on 25 and 50 and see where we go from there. I am not trying to discount your effort, but just know that it is a tuff sell here on such things. I am interested, and I would think others might be as well. Good luck and I look forward to seeing what the prices are. :)

dragoontwo 06-10-2010 07:02 PM

I can ask for a quote, and post a pdf here of it. He has been getting back to me within 24 hours, but I'll send a message tonight and get it up here as soon as I get it.

Crazy_pilot 06-10-2010 07:50 PM

I think $150-190 is a fair price for a top notch product. I don't need a timing belt (did mine less than 2 years ago), but I would buy one anyway to get it going.

Count me in.

ensteele 06-11-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 649751)
I think $150-190 is a fair price for a top notch product. I don't need a timing belt (did mine less than 2 years ago), but I would buy one anyway to get it going.

Count me in.

For a timing belt? How could it be worth that? You would only need 3 regular ones for the life of a low mileage car. :eek: Maybe I am missing something here.

SilverSpear 06-11-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot (Post 649751)

Count me in.

Thanks Chris. With that price you just mentioned, you ruined my (and others) interest.

The timing belts on their website are averaged at $140. PE better offer the SVX timing belts at $100 shipped max since they are selling 50 all at once.

Green1995SVX 06-11-2010 02:30 AM

I don't know if you're going to have much luck here. The stock timing belts are considerably less expensive, and are quite robust. Usually the belt failures we see around here are the result of some other item (water pump, tensioner, etc) failing and destroying the belt.

I think your effort is commendable, but I also think this product has little use to our community.

Mike

michael 06-11-2010 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 649780)
I don't know if you're going to have much luck here. The stock timing belts are considerably less expensive, and are quite robust. Usually the belt failures we see around here are the result of some other item (water pump, tensioner, etc) failing and destroying the belt.

I think your effort is commendable, but I also think this product has little use to our community.

Mike

Especially since we have non-interference engines. Snapping a $10 ebay t-belt every 100k miles isn't really that big of a deal. This would be priceless on a modded engine with clearance issues.

huck369 06-11-2010 05:20 AM

The SVX belt (like other Subaru belts) are longer than many engines due to their Boxer layout...the other Subaru belts they list are $180 (I think from memory)..the SVX belt is a little wider than the 4 cylinders, so would be a little higher than them.....

SilverSpear 06-13-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 649784)
The SVX belt (like other Subaru belts) are longer than many engines due to their Boxer layout...the other Subaru belts they list are $180 (I think from memory)..the SVX belt is a little wider than the 4 cylinders, so would be a little higher than them.....

Just came across "Gates Racing" a new subsidiary of "Gates" belts, which manufactures upgraded belts for racing use. They do have performance belts for the SVX, but for the AC and PS pump. I will send them an email asking them if they can do a performance timing belt for the SVX.

ensteele 06-13-2010 10:26 AM

How much are the belts for the AC and PS pump? :confused:

SilverSpear 06-13-2010 11:20 AM

Around $75 both

cdigerlando 06-20-2010 01:54 PM

I think the advantage of the aftermarket kevlar timing belt is that it flexes less under load, and is a bit stronger. I put one on my WRX just for peace of mind.

SilverSpear 06-20-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpear (Post 649916)
Just came across "Gates Racing" a new subsidiary of "Gates" belts, which manufactures upgraded belts for racing use. They do have performance belts for the SVX, but for the AC and PS pump. I will send them an email asking them if they can do a performance timing belt for the SVX.

Sorry forgot to update. Their answer was no, they cannot custom fab performance timing belts for the SVX :(

Subix 06-21-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 649930)
How much are the belts for the AC and PS pump? :confused:

Is there a link for this? I need to buy both belts and would prefer to go this route if it's actually worth it?