The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Can SVX get paddle shift tranny (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40305)

Subie59 08-16-2007 09:30 AM

Can SVX get paddle shift tranny

Ok the question says it all. Can the SVX make use of a paddle-shift tranny popular in new cars including the Legacy. I think they are a nice compromise between the auto and straight stick.... If they could, that's something I would consider when and if my tranny quits....

Hocrest 08-16-2007 09:40 AM

It will bolt up to the engine. Not sure about the crossmember?? Have fun with the wiring.

ridered777 08-16-2007 09:52 AM

Good lord, what a nightmare...

Though I'm sure it's something Tom would TRY... :D

Maybe if you had a crazy bankroll to back the project it would work. I really don't know how feasible it is. I know when looking into donor tranny's for these cars, older is better. Because of the paddle shifting is fairly new for Subaru, I can only imagine is a pain.

Also, I'd look into the system first to see if it intrests you. Some are better than others. I work at a Mitsubishi dealership, and I know the systems on the Outlanders and Lancers are bullet-proof, but not very fast... See, in order to get some really fun shifting, you have to have the double-clutch system. We'll be getting them on the Evo's I hear, but the normal Lancers and Outlanders really just are slightly fun. They're cool, yes, but I've always wondered why people get it. If you want a stick, get a stick and deal with the clutch. If you want an auto, get the auto and leave 'er in drive. But its all personal preferance... I hate automatics, so I'm biased. I'm counting the days till I can get a stick shift in my SVX...:p

Darren 08-16-2007 10:37 AM

Hiya,

Yes its been done in Japan already using the 99 onwards JDM RSK legacy twin turbo 5speed triptronic box.

I have a damaged RSK Blizten on its way from Japan later this month to do the conversion on my Alcyone and use the steering wheel paddle change.

Darren

JaySVX 08-16-2007 10:41 AM

I thought someone in australia was already working on this one..

Budfreak 08-16-2007 10:43 AM

Yes, It can be done and I plan to be doing it once I have the motor together and the funds saved up for the parts and so on. I'm sure it won't be the easiest project in the world, But it can be done.;)

crazyhorse 08-16-2007 10:48 AM

Being electronically controlled, the 4EAT COULD be converted to paddleshift. Given the time, cash, & expertise anything is possible.

I think we have the gurus here with the knowledge to pull this off. The problem being the desire, or the cash. Add to that the willingness to toast yet ANOTHER 4EAT.

In my estimation you'd need a small PLC and a way to switch over from the stock TCU to the new PLC. From there it'd just be programming issues.

Manarius 08-16-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Given the time, cash, & expertise anything is possible.

Regardless of anything else, this is by far the most important fact here.

Anything can be done, but is it worth your time, money, or effort?

Suby Fan 08-16-2007 01:21 PM

i dont see why you would want to do this i would leave the shifting to a computer that knows exactly the right time to shift to maxamize performance. the paddle shifts i have drove seem to like to lag when you shift them manualy

nonSTOP_service 08-16-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suby Fan
i dont see why you would want to do this i would leave the shifting to a computer that knows exactly the right time to shift to maxamize performance. the paddle shifts i have drove seem to like to lag when you shift them manualy

You see, you need that computer first.

SVX_MY_BABY 08-18-2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

A lot do. But the better ones don't. Try an RX-8 or Saab 9-5 turbo or a Porsche.

redsvx 08-18-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

i don't see why you would want to do this i would leave the shifting to a computer that knows exactly the right time to shift to maximize performance. the paddle shifts i have drove seem to like to lag when you shift them manually

most of the new tiptronics shift for you in manual mode if you forget ... or just don't feel like it. :)
Especially in the Chrysler's ... maybe for a more mature driver? ;)

Crazy_pilot 08-18-2007 12:12 PM

It would be cool to see this happen, but I still prefer the good ol' stick and clutch manual box.

Landshark 08-18-2007 01:55 PM

Quote:

the paddle shifts i have drove seem to like to lag when you shift them manualy

the 5EAT in my LGT will do lazy shifts if you're just putting around, but if you get on it, it will shift hard and fast. Prodrive designed the Sportshift, and it works very well.

it will bounce off the rev limiter all day if you don't upshift, but it will downshift for you as you come to a stop in manual mode.

svxistentialist 08-18-2007 02:28 PM

I think it would make a good upgrade, and I am waiting to see how Darren gets on with his conversion.

If I was setting out to do this, and it is a fair few years ago since I first asked could it be done, I would buy a donor car, and use the wiring loom [cord?] and the TCU from the donor. You would also need the Legacy wheel and wiring.

The only wiring "problem" I can see would be the need to feed the correct information to the engine from the TCU and new gearbox and vice versa. Can't be rocket science.

I have a Mitsubishi wagon with Tiptronic. I don't like the box because I don't like the ratios. Probably a 5EAT would cure that problem. Like Alan says, if I drive it hard, it learns to be urgent and shifts like a good thing. If I drive it slow and easy, it learns that mode and does quick upchanges. It's clever enough, I just don't like the ratio spread.

But I'm still an auto man. My supercharged SVX Version L is still, and will remain auto.

Joe;) :)