The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Steering stiffness (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21169)

blue thunder 09-06-2004 10:07 PM

Steering stiffness

Hi everyone, my steering has been getting stiffer and stiffer and occasionally when i turn sharply it like locks up for a split second. I have had a small leak coming from the two boots underneath for a long time. I used the Lucas power steering fluid and the leak is practically gone. Is a new rack job the only solution to these symptoms. I hope I painted a good enough picture. Thanks for taking the time.

Mike

HighwayUFO 09-07-2004 01:20 AM

It may be the rack and pinion, CV axles or a horrible alignment issue. Get your CV axles checked and check your PS fluid. That is all I can think of, hope it helps.

Keith

Earthworm 09-07-2004 02:24 PM

Confirm that it is the boots that are leaking and not a loose/leaking hose.

Another inexpensive fix is to replace the o-ring that sits between the power steering reservoir and pump.

blue thunder 09-07-2004 03:32 PM

steering stiffness

Yes, I did the o-ring procedure around a year ago and the Subaru mechanic showed me the leaks from the boots maybe seven months ago. It would leak on the exhaust pipe at times causing smoke but as of late the Lucas stop leak seems to have stopped it after almost two bottles. Maybe I'll check the o-ring again. I just priced a new rack and pinion with the Tampa dealer at around $670.00. Thanks for the feed back.

Mike

Mr. Pockets 09-07-2004 04:29 PM

Re: steering stiffness

Quote:

Originally posted by blue thunder
...the Subaru mechanic showed me the leaks from the boots maybe seven months ago.
If you're referring to the boots on the steering rack, then I think you've had the answer for a long time. When those boots go not only does power steering fluid leak out, but dirt and moisture make their way in. Eventually this wears on seals and other parts.

It sounds to me like you need a new rack.

BoondockSVX 09-07-2004 05:40 PM

I find all this talk of racks and increased stiffness quite humorous.

:p

dcarrb 09-08-2004 06:53 AM

Re: steering stiffness

Quote:

Originally posted by blue thunder
It would leak on the exhaust pipe at times causing smoke but as of late the Lucas stop leak seems to have stopped it after almost two bottles.
I'm not familiar with this stuff, but I'd check to see if the manufacturer suggests a maximum product/PS fluid ratio, 'cos after two bottles, you're probably running straight Lucas. If the viscosity is considerably heavier than that of regular PS/AT fluid, that alone might cause your steering to feel sluggish. Is the PS pump making any noise at all when you turn the wheel?

dcb