The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   JDM VTD Transmission - Questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64435)

monkeyposeur 10-17-2017 05:16 PM

JDM VTD Transmission - Questions

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. Although I am a fan of SVXs I don't own one. I've come across quite a few out here in Utah.

I own a few Subarus and I do all my own work. I have a Bugeye with a built hybrid motor 350 whp @ 4250 ft 91 octane, and an almost stock 93 SS Turbo legacy w/4EAT.

I built the SS for my wife and she won't let me swap in a 5MT because she loves having an automatic. The 4EAT has about 180k on it. Seems to run fine although I had to change out the Duty C solenoid a while back, and the problem didn't go away until I swapped in an NA TCU. I did a lot of diagnostics and couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Anyway, I am going to do a Robtune on her car soon and I was looking at some JDM 20G engine/trans combos that are pretty damn cheap. Since her trans is up in miles it would be nice to have a cheap backup available to swap in. I could use the 20g heads and get quite a bump in power as well.

My main question is regarding the JDM TCU. Does anyone know where to find one that will work with the 93-94 JDM EJ20G (VTD I think) auto transmission TCU. Trans code: TZ102YB3AA. Or does anyone know the part number or the 2 letter designation on the case?

Or has anyone come across any info on swapping in a later phase II 4EAT from an 02/03 WRX? I understand that it would involve swapping over some wiring, but I don't know how or if the stock ECU would need to communicate with the phase II TCU or if it is even possible.

Thanks!

92 SVX 10-18-2017 06:54 AM

Re: JDM VTD Transmission - Questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeyposeur (Post 747465)
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum. Although I am a fan of SVXs I don't own one. I've come across quite a few out here in Utah.

I own a few Subarus and I do all my own work. I have a Bugeye with a built hybrid motor 350 whp @ 4250 ft 91 octane, and an almost stock 93 SS Turbo legacy w/4EAT.

I built the SS for my wife and she won't let me swap in a 5MT because she loves having an automatic. The 4EAT has about 180k on it. Seems to run fine although I had to change out the Duty C solenoid a while back, and the problem didn't go away until I swapped in an NA TCU. I did a lot of diagnostics and couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Anyway, I am going to do a Robtune on her car soon and I was looking at some JDM 20G engine/trans combos that are pretty damn cheap. Since her trans is up in miles it would be nice to have a cheap backup available to swap in. I could use the 20g heads and get quite a bump in power as well.

My main question is regarding the JDM TCU. Does anyone know where to find one that will work with the 93-94 JDM EJ20G (VTD I think) auto transmission TCU. Trans code: TZ102YB3AA. Or does anyone know the part number or the 2 letter designation on the case?

Or has anyone come across any info on swapping in a later phase II 4EAT from an 02/03 WRX? I understand that it would involve swapping over some wiring, but I don't know how or if the stock ECU would need to communicate with the phase II TCU or if it is even possible.

Thanks!

The newer transmissions are phase 2 and while technically it is possible to swap in the wiring is a nightmare and probably not worth the time unless you can do the job yourself I recall a shop did the job but they put in so much time.