The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How to pull over a motorcyclist (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49009)

JaySVX 02-05-2009 08:13 AM

How to pull over a motorcyclist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zRRC...eature=related
Effective.

IceBlade 02-05-2009 09:50 AM

Re: How to pull over a motorcyclist

He got served.

svxistentialist 02-05-2009 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlade (Post 586029)
He got served.

Who got served? Do you mean the policeman who hit the biker head on?

I should bloody hope so.

:mad:

SoCal LS-L 02-05-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 586033)

I should bloody hope so.

Indeed.... deadly force wasnt necessary in this pursuit, especially if it was anything less than a violent crime felony stop.

RSVX 02-05-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 586033)

I should bloody hope so.

+1... And if you notice thats the state I am in.

Keoni 02-05-2009 05:57 PM

thats messed up. IM from a motorcycling family and i cant believe a cop would do that.

Crazy_pilot 02-05-2009 06:02 PM

Wow. Although I have to say if I was the rider and that was done to me, my response would be "Alright, I give up. You're obviously willing to kill me, so if I turn my back you'll probably shoot me."

IceBlade 02-05-2009 08:53 PM

How 'bout you don't run from the cops?

JaySVX 02-06-2009 03:27 AM

It's very hard to catch a motorcycle that doesn't want to be caught, due to their acceleration and size. I can only imagine that the officer was desperate. Still, it's seriously messed up.

svxistentialist 02-06-2009 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlade (Post 586177)
How 'bout you don't run from the cops?

That would certainly be the correct thing to do.

Me, I'm a right winger, I would normally support the cops any way I can.

But if this guy was only trying to avoid getting a speeding ticket, or even trying to get away with a stolen motorcycle there is no way any decent policeman or woman could justify hitting him head on to take him off the bike.

Bikes and bikers are vulnerable on the road. If you can't justify sticking a gun out the window and shooting at him, then you can't justify hitting him head on.

radarwhiz 02-06-2009 06:00 AM

If there's anybody that's worth a damn in the chain of command of the S.C. Department of Public Safety , i'm sure that officer is no longer an officer. That's no different than an officer pulling along side of someone fleeing in a car and shooting the suspect in the head. Having ridden my whole life and on the road for the last 8 years, there's nothing more important drilled into you than how deadly an automobile is to a biker. And I must say that as a motorcyclist, I am offended and appalled by that officer's actions, and if I was the victim of that CRIME, I would sue the pants off that a**hole.

svxistentialist 02-06-2009 06:07 AM

Well said.

The scary part is the fact it illustrates how little car drivers in general may think of the danger to life if a biker is knocked off a machine. They are cocooned safely in metal boxes with airbags all over the place.

Tank driver mentality.

Ride safe man.

+1

SoCal LS-L 02-06-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 586201)
That would certainly be the correct thing to do.

Me, I'm a right winger, I would normally support the cops any way I can.

But if this guy was only trying to avoid getting a speeding ticket, or even trying to get away with a stolen motorcycle there is no way any decent policeman or woman could justify hitting him head on to take him off the bike.

Bikes and bikers are vulnerable on the road. If you can't justify sticking a gun out the window and shooting at him, then you can't justify hitting him head on.

Agreed. My own father was run off the road and killed while riding a Goldwing back when my mom was 5 months pregnant with me. Me and my brother also love to ride..... so when I see this cop purposely collide with the guy, it immediately hits home. I hope the guy, unless hes a total scumbag, sues that department for bank. Total use of excessive force, which if the roles were reversed and the guy was in a car and did it to a motorcycle cop, would go to prison for LIFE (attempted murder on a police officer).

svxistentialist 02-06-2009 09:34 AM

I realise you would not have known him, but I am sorry to hear that story of how your Dad was killed.

You and your brother ride safe. Your Mom would not appreciate any more collisions hurting her family.

Joe ;)

JaySVX 02-06-2009 09:43 AM

Mothers generally hate motorcycles. When I started riding again not long ago, i brought the bike over and my mother said "i absolutely forbid you to ride that bike until your girls are 18 years old and living on their own." She's still not happy with it, but i don't ride much due to the temps. Once it's warmer it'll be my primary mode of transportation.