The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Window LOUD Bang Now Not Working (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40176)

Cynic 08-08-2007 04:49 PM

Window LOUD Bang Now Not Working

Flipped the driver's power window button to shut it and it went up, then there was a terrific loud bang/crack. Scared us silly and we right away checked but window intact and up. The motor still whirrs but nothing happens?? What the heck happened? Anyone?:eek:

Hocrest 08-08-2007 05:06 PM

Sleeve lock regulator. There's a write up in the how to documents...

ensteele 08-08-2007 05:12 PM

The write up is here in the How-To Docs. :)

SSSVX 08-08-2007 05:13 PM

sleeve lock regulator = the little white plastic clip?

sounds like what it happened to me too long time ago. the part price is not expensive but it's expensive for a small little piece though. :)

ensteele 08-08-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSSVX
sleeve lock regulator = the little white plastic clip?

sounds like what it happened to me too long time ago. the part price is not expensive but it's expensive for a small little piece though. :)

Yes, it is the white plastic clip. They get brittle after 10 years or so and tend to break. If you are going to buy one, buy 2, because the other one will fail in a short time and then you will have it. Postage or shipping should not cost any more.

Cynic 08-08-2007 05:21 PM

Thanks guys. On my way out to see if I can find one now, plus the altenator for the Sprint so my son has something to drive.

Cynic 08-08-2007 05:56 PM

just got off the phone with Subaru...the parts guy says the regulator assembly changed in '94 and he thinks my '92 is one complete mechanism-that I need the whole thing, not just a clip??
Will take the door panel off tonite and see what's up.

Called around, as I think this car needs some tender lovin' and other parts as well, and found one yard with 5 or 6...all written off by insurance. So I'll get a list from mechanic and go shopping, I guess.
I know that you all hate seeing an SVX parted out...

subru92svx 08-08-2007 06:02 PM

Hey, I was curious what this yard with 5 or 6 is called and where it is located?

redsvx 08-08-2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Hey, I was curious what this yard with 5 or 6 is called and where it is located?
Me too!!
What part of Canada are you in that has 5 or 6 of these in a yard ???

Cynic 08-08-2007 06:57 PM

Its in BC. WA not too far...and where are you, RedSVX? Maybe we could meet and go. He said he just got a '92 in, and the window regulator is fine if I need it.

Hocrest 08-08-2007 07:20 PM

Don't even ask for the part, just give the part number. All SVX regulators are the same. Most old one's that I've tried to remove have snapped due to their age, if you try to use one out of a yard, grab a few, because you'll need to replace it again soon ;)

If the part number isn't in the write up, do a search for "sleeve lock regulator"

Cynic 08-08-2007 07:39 PM

Thanks. The Subaru parts guy was helpful, but didn't seem to know about it. I'll check for the part online too. And ya, if its from the wreckers, I'll grab a few. Or as my son says, just take everything, all the parts, for you never know...!:D

SSSVX 08-08-2007 11:53 PM

Mine is 92. I just replaced the clip only. If I recall correctly, it's like $7-8usd from subaru dealer. Changing it is kind of tricky in my opinion.

After few years, I do still notice, my driver's side window still moves faster than the passenger's side window. It's moving faster and stronger after the "clip" was replaced.

If you get one from junkyard, it's the same-old-age plastic clip....how long would it last? :D

bcpianoman 08-09-2007 12:10 AM

BC Wrecking Yard

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsvx
Me too!!
What part of Canada are you in that has 5 or 6 of these in a yard ???

The contact info is posted here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30565

ensteele 08-09-2007 01:05 AM

Just looked it up on Subaru Parts dot com and found the Sleeve Lock Regulator - part No. 62101PA081 and the price is $7.58. Shipping is more than the part, but if you order more than one, it will bring it down to a more reasonable price. You can also order a few other parts while you are at it. :) :)