The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Crankshaft pully (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12983)

imjeremy77 09-05-2003 04:20 PM

Crankshaft pully

Symptoms: squealing belt, then burning rubber smell, then alternator belt fell off resulting in no power steering.

Dealer says it's my crankshft pully, $230 just for the part! :(

Is it easy replace this thing myself?

want-a-fast-svx 09-06-2003 12:29 AM

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined or have patience and a scan of the shop manual its no problem at all. You will have to pull the belt off which means compressing the timing belt tensioner and then setting the timing marks and pulling the pin but other than that its about an 10 min. job....

Motorsport-SVX 09-06-2003 01:03 AM

Re: Crankshaft pully

Quote:

Originally posted by imjeremy77
Symptoms: squealing belt, then burning rubber smell, then alternator belt fell off resulting in no power steering.

Dealer says it's my crankshft pully, $230 just for the part! :(

Is it easy replace this thing myself?

You do have a choice, you can install an aftermarket
underdrive crank pulley in place of stock.
It adds some gains in hp and torque on top of it
all.
We have them on special if you, if you get a chance
check out our store link below and email me for pricing.

Theres lots of good info here if you do a search for
installation, Want A Fast input is pretty direct and
helpful.

alacrity024 09-06-2003 12:18 PM

i agree with dayle-

an aftermarket underdrive pulley will cost you less, and since it's made from one piece of aluminum, it won't separate like your stock one did. the only issue is that you'll need to run different length alternator and a/c belts than OEM calls for, but dayle can hook you up with the proper belts as well.

as for it being a do-it-yourself job, it absolutely is.. there's a few methods of holding the crank pulley still while you reef on the nut (i think it's a 22mm) holding it to the engine. since the pulley is separated, it'll prove fruitless to use a strap wrench to hold it still (the inside will spin freely and the outside will stay still).. some people will advocate bracing a breaker bar against the engine and keying the starter to break the bolt loose, but i think it's sketchy as hell..

ask around, someone will be able to give you a pretty thorough step-by-step

-adam

Phast SVX 09-06-2003 12:53 PM

Re: Re: Crankshaft pully

Quote:

Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX

You do have a choice, you can install an aftermarket
underdrive crank pulley in place of stock.
It adds some gains in hp and torque on top of it
all.
We have them on special if you, if you get a chance
check out our store link below and email me for pricing.

Theres lots of good info here if you do a search for
installation, Want A Fast input is pretty direct and
helpful.

are they actually under driven(smaller circumference) or are they merely lightened? The perrin pulley is lightened but same diameter
phil

imjeremy77 09-06-2003 05:31 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for all your replies. Because of time constraints I've decided to have the dealer do the work. (Hopefully it won't break my bank too bad) They're supposed to give me a final estimate Monday sometime. Can this breaking of the crankshfat pully cause any other damage? (ie timing belt, etc)

alacrity024 09-07-2003 12:40 AM

well, if the crank pulley separated violently (read: exploded) it would've gone bouncing around the engine bay.. probably the most damage it could easily do is to wear a circular impression of itself onto your timing belt cover. it might have dug deep enough to necessitate a new cover, but probably not..

-adam

Subafreak 09-07-2003 12:06 PM

Ouch! $230 just for the part + what ever the dealer is going to gouge you for labor. (thank full I can work on my own car). I think the under drives go for like $100 to $150? and it really is easy to do it yourself.

BTW. Want a fast, what are you talking about?, you don't have to touch the timming belt to swap a crank pully.

Loki 05-31-2004 11:32 AM

So I posted like 2 weeks ago about belt problems, I just now got a chance to look at them as Ive been driving my Celica. I tried loosening the belt tensioner (down and to the passanger side of the alternator) and it worked fine, but once I actually got the belt on and tried to re-tighten the tensioner it snapped... so that really sucks, does anyone know of anything that I can do? I dont really know how to get the broken portion of it out. Once I get it out and replace the bolt Im sure that the car will be fine (I hope, with force (pulling hard on the belt) the cam pulley moves almost 1/4 inch). Does anyone have experence/know what to do with this?

Thanks in Advance.

want-a-fast-svx 05-31-2004 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
Ouch! $230 just for the part + what ever the dealer is going to gouge you for labor. (thank full I can work on my own car). I think the under drives go for like $100 to $150? and it really is easy to do it yourself.

BTW. Want a fast, what are you talking about?, you don't have to touch the timming belt to swap a crank pully.

just now saw that...my bad I was thinking about the cam pulley...I apologize for the ignorance...

Landshark 05-31-2004 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
double ouch! my lightwieght slightly underdriven pulley was like $80 (when OVIDIUStan was selling them), and the belt was $10-15.

the 'Subafreak Engine / Crankshaft Nut Cracking Method' is not sketchy at at - you only need to 'touch' the key in the ignition for an instant, and it comes loose! thanks again, Mr. Freak! :)

Loki 06-01-2004 03:55 PM

Sorry to bump this, but I could really use some input on the broken bolt.

Thanks in Advance

Todd Gilbert

immortal_suby 06-01-2004 07:04 PM

An EZ-out should work - can you post a picture of the broken bolt?