The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need an answer quick about headbolt placement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53544)

STeeL25T 03-23-2010 10:45 AM

Need an answer quick about headbolt placement

Very stupid question, but I need a quick answer. I'm taking my heads to get worked on today and I brought my ARP studs to get them to modify them while I was there. However its been months since I took my engine apart and I'm drawing a complete blank, and I can't remember the where are bolts go, long and short wise.. So I don't know which bolts to shorten. Am I correct in thinking that the 4 long head bolts go in the center and the four short bolts go on the outside edges? Really need to know this before 3:30 today.

Cam 03-23-2010 01:34 PM

Re: Need an answer quick about headbolt placement

Wherever your heads have less material should be where the shorter bolts go...i know its kind of a stupid answer but hopefully it helps you out. It sounds like you will have access to look at your heads since they are going to the shop.

STeeL25T 03-23-2010 01:55 PM

Yea, I mistakenly thought the height difference was due to the holes being deeper in the block, but its in the head. By placing a longer stud on the grove around the outside holes and the shorter one on the inside hole grove they appear to look even in height, so I'm guessing the outside edge holes are the longer studs.

Cam 03-23-2010 04:54 PM

Not exactly. I just looked at my heads and block to verify. You will notice that the 2 furthest forward (and 2 furthest aft) holes in the head are much shorter than the middle 4. Therefore the middle four are longer, and the "outside" bolts are the ones you must modify.

svxfiles 03-23-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam (Post 639386)
Not exactly. I just looked at my heads and block to verify. You will notice that the 2 furthest forward (and 2 furthest aft) holes in the head are much shorter than the middle 4. Therefore the middle four are longer, and the "outside" bolts are the ones you must modify.

The "outside", (IE, front and back pairs) of bolts/studs are the shorter ones.
PLUS you must modify the ARP studs at the front pairs, under the cam gears for further clearance.

Unless ARP has You need to shorten them,
at the end without the allen head,
for clearance to the gears.

I do not have the # in front of me...:o

STeeL25T 03-24-2010 05:20 AM

Yea, thats why I brought my bolts with me along with the heads. According to my PM from you its 1/8".