The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Radio Antenna (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4407)

vkykam 06-04-2002 09:28 PM

Radio Antenna

Does anyone know off hand what fuse the radio antenna is on?

Mine's stuck in the up position. When I turn the radio off, the antenna won't go down, and there's no audible attempt by the motor to try to lower the antenna either.

Thx.

VK

Aredubjay 06-04-2002 11:15 PM

Re: Radio Antenna

Quote:

Originally posted by vkykam
Does anyone know off hand what fuse the radio antenna is on?

Mine's stuck in the up position. When I turn the radio off, the antenna won't go down, and there's no audible attempt by the motor to try to lower the antenna either.

Thx.

VK

Victor,
Check fuse #22 (according to the FSM diagram)

EverclearAtMSU 06-05-2002 11:16 AM

i had that happen once...all my amps run off that signal...I just touched a positive 12volt line to the wire and it shut off...only happened once, and haven't had a problem since

vkykam 06-05-2002 11:42 AM

Re: Re: Radio Antenna

Thx. I got that from the manual as well, but I'm still scratching my head that according to the owner's manual, I think that's one of the cooling fans as well? :confused:

VK

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Victor,
Check fuse #22 (according to the FSM diagram)

Aredubjay 06-05-2002 12:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Radio Antenna

Quote:

Originally posted by vkykam
Thx. I got that from the manual as well, but I'm still scratching my head that according to the owner's manual, I think that's one of the cooling fans as well? :confused:

VK

Hmmm. Yeah, according to the owner's manual, it's the left-hand fan. Of course, the FSM clearly shows the antenna feeding from that circuit also. <scratching head> I dunno. Maybe try removing the driver's side trim panel in the trunk and unplugging and plugging it back in. Otherwise, your problem might be in the harness. <still scratching head> :confused:

EverclearAtMSU 06-05-2002 02:27 PM

just do what i do when something blows...pull off the pannel, get a fuse puller, and a light, go through them all. sure it may not be the most efficent way of going about it, but it works 100%, and you may find something that's gone that you wouldn't notice

kuoh 06-05-2002 02:36 PM

How about just measuring the power at the antenna terminals with a DVM to make sure that the motor isn't shot?

KuoH

Aredubjay 06-05-2002 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh
How about just measuring the power at the antenna terminals with a DVM to make sure that the motor isn't shot?

KuoH

Well, Mr. Fancy Pants. Not *EVERYBODY* has a DVM. :p :D

svxcess 06-05-2002 02:51 PM

Every state should have one: Department of Votor Mehicles

kuoh 06-05-2002 03:27 PM

What, they don't issue one of those with every license plate? ;)

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Well, Mr. Fancy Pants. Not *EVERYBODY* has a DVM. :p :D

vkykam 06-05-2002 03:32 PM

My logic: check fuse = 1/10 difficulty, removing panel in trunk = 2/10 difficulty. 1/10 doable, 2/10 I'll leave the antenna up. :D

I thought I would check the obvious first. If fuse 22's OK, the panel's coming off when I do the rear speakers and the RR ABS sensor and maybe the rollover valve and maybe the fuel gauge sending unit.

Lots of things to fix before the meet. :)

VK
Lafayette or Bust!

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh

KuoH

Boone 06-05-2002 03:49 PM

Hmm... Some of the older power antennae had a low rated inline fuse in a holder near the motor. :confused: That would even make sense to protect the cooling fan. :p

vkykam 06-15-2002 08:39 PM

Does anyone know what I'm supposed to see checking the voltage to the antenna motor?

I took the panel out yesterday, and checked the 3 wire connector. I'm getting a constant 12V from one wire to ground, and the other wire to ground I'm getting 12V when the radio's turned on.

I *think* this means my antenna motor has given me a letter of resignation?

VK

Trevor 06-15-2002 08:54 PM

You have isolated the trouble to the antenna as a unit but it need not be a shot motor. There is usually a relay which reverses the motor for up and down motion and also limit switch contacts which sense fully up or down positions. Several different setups are common and I do not know which the SVX unit incorporates. Remove from car and follow your nose. It will probably be fixable.

kuoh 06-15-2002 09:40 PM

I don't think it has a limit switch since you can usually hear the motor continue to run after the antenna has stopped, but you're probably right in assuming that it could be fixed, at least temporarily. At this point, it sounds like there's little to lose from trying.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by Trevor
There is usually a relay which reverses the motor for up and down motion and also limit switch contacts which sense fully up or down positions.