The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I raced a STI, and kept up!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18578)

svxsubaru1 05-10-2004 09:53 PM

I raced a STI, and kept up!!!

I was going home tonight and noticed a STI driving in front on me so i followed it, and then he pulled on to a road were no one really was so i went next to and down shifted to second, he heard my exhust, (no muffler right now) and it floored it for a second, i floorded it with it and stayed up, then it floored it and i did and i kept up i even pulled a nose then i hit (fuel cut, forgot to shift i was to amazed i was keeping up) in second, then shifted to 3 and we both stoped. We started at around 35mph and ended at around 65mph. I then started to hed home. I know this sounds absurd that a SVX with no mods, except a 5spd/4.11 kept up with a STI, i think it kept it in 4th because i never saw the nose go down for a shift. Then agian i was in the perfect mid range torq spot when we started to race. The STI I raced was a Black one, i know its not a WRX/2.5rs because it had the larger scoop, wing, and the hid front lights, with all the STI embloems in the right spot, and the brembos.

SSVTXi 05-10-2004 10:41 PM

Not bad. Doesn't sound like he was tryin real hard though.;)

mbtoloczko 05-10-2004 11:09 PM

Its fun to have a little race, but I'm sure he wasn't trying. That car has 70 more HP and weighs at least 100 lbs less than your SVX. He was doing just enough to stay with you. I do the same thing to people if I know their car is slower than mine.

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 11:22 PM

Re: I raced a STI, and kept up!!!

I would agree with you that the mid-range pull of the SVX is incredible. The thing about those turbo'd 4 bangers on the STI, Evo and SRT-4 is that their drivers must really work hard to keep the turbo spooled and boost up - if it ever falls flat, then turbo lag alone (approx 0.5s) will allow an SVX to keep up...

The driver may have been toying with you, but then again, you may have caught him off boost! :D

-Chike
Quote:

Originally posted by svxsubaru1
Then agian i was in the perfect mid range torq spot when we started to race.

Chiketkd 05-10-2004 11:49 PM

svxsubaru1, check out what happened to me the day I picked up my SVX... :D

Newest SVX Owner

-Chike

Seraph 05-11-2004 12:19 AM

Re: I raced a STI, and kept up!!!

Quote:

I was going home tonight and noticed a STI driving in front on me so i followed it, and then he pulled on to a road were no one really was so i went next to and down shifted to second, he heard my exhust, (no muffler right now) and it floored it for a second, i floorded it with it and stayed up, then it floored it and i did and i kept up i even pulled a nose then i hit (fuel cut, forgot to shift i was to amazed i was keeping up) in second, then shifted to 3 and we both stoped. We started at around 35mph and ended at around 65mph. I then started to hed home. I know this sounds absurd that a SVX with no mods, except a 5spd/4.11 kept up with a STI, i think it kept it in 4th because i never saw the nose go down for a shift. Then agian i was in the perfect mid range torq spot when we started to race. The STI I raced was a Black one, i know its not a WRX/2.5rs because it had the larger scoop, wing, and the hid front lights, with all the STI embloems in the right spot, and the brembos.

Who else was on the racing track?:rolleyes: :mad:

svxsubaru1 05-11-2004 09:41 AM

The road was a on ramp to a free way.

Mr. Pockets 05-11-2004 01:45 PM

Dumb 'street racing' threads belong in the 'Not Exactly SVX' forum.

svxsubaru1 05-11-2004 03:59 PM

Its about a SVX and another subaru tho? I will try to rember this exception if i ever post about this agian.

Mr. Pockets 05-11-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Its about a SVX and another subaru tho? I will try to rember this exception if i ever post about this agian.
We don't really have an official policy on posts about street racing, but we do generally frown upon it and we move them to this off-topic forum.

My recommendation for the future would be 'don't race on the street.' Then you don't have to worry about what forum you post in.

Green1995SVX 05-11-2004 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

My recommendation for the future would be 'don't race on the street.' Then you don't have to worry about what forum you post in.

heh heh... Good call! :D

drivemusicnow 05-11-2004 09:16 PM

i'm sorry but 35 to 65 isn't illegal in most states, and its kinda rediculous that you're coming down on him for "street racing" when I'd be 99% of the members here have floored it in that same range before. with or without someone next to them.

Landshark 05-11-2004 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drivemusicnow
i'm sorry but 35 to 65 isn't illegal in most states, and its kinda rediculous that you're coming down on him for "street racing" when I'd be 99% of the members here have floored it in that same range before. with or without someone next to them.
the only thing that's ridiculous is thinking the STi was actually trying. wife's stock auto WRX will blow the doors off my SVX - an STi would make it look like it was standing still.

the SVX was in a race, but the STi wasn't aware a race was going on. :D

Phast SVX 05-11-2004 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark

the only thing that's ridiculous is thinking the STi was actually trying. wife's stock auto WRX will blow the doors off my SVX - an STi would make it look like it was standing still.

the SVX was in a race, but the STi wasn't aware a race was going on. :D

I have beaten stock Auto WRX's alot, they run 15.6-7 in the querter, cant even break 15's on stage 2 utec.

for proof, watch the video rob made of us going to the subaru shootout last summer. the SVX waxes a modified slushbox WRX
phil

Seraph 05-11-2004 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by drivemusicnow
The point is that he raced and is talking about it. Yeah I have floored it too. I even did it tonight but I had a truck coming in my lane. Well, I guess I raced with a truck and won.