The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tire fell apart at 65mph. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18102)

WestCoastSVX 04-19-2004 08:05 PM

Tire fell apart at 65mph.

While driving home from the airport today (after an emergency death-in-the-wife's-family trip to California over the weekend), going about 65mph on the freeway, my rear driver side tire just kinda disintegrated. I was fortunately going in a straight line and we all know how safe this car feels anyway, so there was no major incident at least. Just driving along and it started kinda clunking and then I could see smoke coming from the wheel back there and by that point I could feel that I was riding on the rim. Managed to pull over three lanes and find a big shoulder where I could safely change it. There was only half a tire left on the rim, very strange. I've had these no-name tires that came with the car since I bought it 4 years and 50,000 miles ago, and they still appear to have some tread (and I don't have traction problems). But guess something like this was due to happen. I'm just thankful the car is what it is and losing a tire at freeway speed was done safely.

The donut spare worked for the rest of the 40 mile trek home.

Problem now is I can't really afford one new tire, much less the four you are all going to say I'd better get or risk hurting the AWD and tranny. :(

At least with my wife still in CA I'll have her car for a week till I can figure out what to do. Not that I really have anywhere to go anyway I guess. :rolleyes:

ensteele 04-19-2004 09:03 PM

I am glad you, and your car are safe and sound. I will get in touch with you with some options on tires. :)

Noir 04-19-2004 10:30 PM

Re: Tire fell apart at 65mph.

Quote:

Originally posted by MacGyver
While driving home from the airport today (after an emergency death-in-the-wife's-family trip to California over the weekend), going about 65mph on the freeway, my rear driver side tire just kinda disintegrated. I was fortunately going in a straight line and we all know how safe this car feels anyway, so there was no major incident at least. Just driving along and it started kinda clunking and then I could see smoke coming from the wheel back there and by that point I could feel that I was riding on the rim. Managed to pull over three lanes and find a big shoulder where I could safely change it. There was only half a tire left on the rim, very strange. I've had these no-name tires that came with the car since I bought it 4 years and 50,000 miles ago, and they still appear to have some tread (and I don't have traction problems). But guess something like this was due to happen. I'm just thankful the car is what it is and losing a tire at freeway speed was done safely.

The donut spare worked for the rest of the 40 mile trek home.

Problem now is I can't really afford one new tire, much less the four you are all going to say I'd better get or risk hurting the AWD and tranny. :(

At least with my wife still in CA I'll have her car for a week till I can figure out what to do. Not that I really have anywhere to go anyway I guess. :rolleyes:

hey mac, i have a set of 4 that i'm willing to let go for $150. i'll get some pics tomorrow.

Chiketkd 04-20-2004 06:54 AM

Wow! What a close call...

Glad you were able to maintain control of the car after the blow-out. I knew someone who had the same thing happen to them in their '95 Galant and they spun around three times on the highway and was barely missed by a tractor trailer that couldn't stop in time - luckily she was able to walk away with minimal cuts and bruises.

Good luck getting some tires for your car, but the most important thing is that you're okay and will be able to see your wife again when she gets back from her trip! :)

-Chike

alacrity024 04-20-2004 08:06 AM

make sure the rim is okay after rolling on 1/4 the weight of the car.. i rolled on a rim for about 50 feet and cracked it wide open. they're pretty brittle..

-adam

mbtoloczko 04-20-2004 08:08 AM

Troy,

Glad to hear that you and your car are ok. Bummer about the cost to replace, but Noir's sale on 4 wheels & tires is pretty awesome if both are in good shape.

Seraph 04-20-2004 08:21 AM

I am holding off driving mine now...

The reason behind is that mine is blad now and I had to cross over the median a few days ago on the 4 lane divided highway (playing chicken with oncoming traffic at 50mph). Yeah close call. If I keep driving, i am giong to have a major accident with those.

New tyres be here tomorrow.

CigarJohnny 04-20-2004 09:58 AM

I find it is hard to argue against having to replace a set of tires when they have 50k miles on them. If one can go the others are sure to follow. Especially when they go in a scary way like that one. I had a front tire blow off the rim on my SVX while doing 90mph. It still tracked straight and true with no pulling or craziness until I could get it stopped on the shoulder. What a great car!

Sounds like Harry's deal is fair. You're a good guy, Harry!

Johnny

mark10t 04-20-2004 10:04 AM

If you're tires lasted over 4 years and 50,000 mi's+, consider yourself lucky- you were overdue for tires already. I've read some studies that indicate that tires are 'perishable'- that age definitely works against them. Sort of an inevitable 'dry-rot'; it's like some of the chemical make-up dissapates. Tire manufacturer's are now starting to recommend that you replace tires over about 4 years old as a matter of course. They discovered that some of these 'garage queen' cars that never put on any appreciable miles had significantly degraded performance on their 'rubber'.

I'm glad to hear that your incident was fairly uneventful (thank the SVX for that), but somehow you need to get some 'fresh' rubber on your SVX. I'm hearing very good things about the Conti Contact Extremes and they are quite reasonable for a capable all-season tire. If you need something even cheaper and can do with a little less M+S capability, I just swapped out my Nitto NT450 Extremes for some Yoko AVS dB's. The Nitto's wore well, were well performing wet and dry, but got a little noisy at the end of their life. Because they are an 'older technology' tire, they can be had for as little as about $85.00/tire (Discount Tire- www.tires.com)

Good Luck.

-Mark

WestCoastSVX 04-20-2004 10:50 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Yeah, I'm definitely thanking the SVX today (my wife is too :)) and promising it some new rubber soon.

Probably will not drive it again until I get a full time job, at which point I can afford tires and will have to drive it to the job. :)

Andy 04-20-2004 02:45 PM

Blimey, perished after only 4 years!!!!!

I had better look at my Honda, she has still got the original tyres on :eek: :eek: :eek:

Noir 04-20-2004 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Andy
Blimey, perished after only 4 years!!!!!

I had better look at my Honda, she has still got the original tyres on :eek: :eek: :eek:

yes andy, check those rubbers :eek: :eek: :eek:

if they are in good shape, refer them to my avatar.

ensteele 04-21-2004 12:11 AM

Aly is replacing hers. Maybe those would last until you get new ones. Just an idea. :) They didn't look too bad. :)

Seraph 04-21-2004 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Aly is replacing hers. Maybe those would last until you get new ones. Just an idea. :) They didn't look too bad. :)

How bad did they look? I should take photos of mine tomorrow when I replace them.

manofmayo 04-21-2004 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
Its probably moot right now....if she got hers replaced today. I doubt she brought the old ones home.