The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   transmission weight (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3131)

immortal_suby 03-13-2002 05:15 PM

transmission weight

Anyone know how much our tranny weighs?
The trucking company called and they are delivering tomorrow but they have no way (forklift) of gettin it off the truck.
Could 2 people with no fear of back problems lift it?

Green1995SVX 03-13-2002 05:18 PM

Very good question... I've always wondered that. <waits for response>

-Mike

wawazat?? 03-13-2002 05:26 PM

Re: transmission weight

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
The trucking company called and they are delivering tomorrow but they have no way (forklift) of gettin it off the truck.

Trucking company should know EXACTLY how much it weighs. They typically charge by weight.

Todd

immortal_suby 03-13-2002 05:41 PM

Reddaway trucking - they did not know. I guess I should eat some wheaties tomorrow morning.

BTW -just how hard is it to install one of these without a lift?
:D

wawazat?? 03-13-2002 05:47 PM

That depends

on how much you hurt yourself getting it outta the truck! :D :D :D

Rent a transmission jack at a local rental place. I've used a floor jack in the past but it was scary!

Remember, don't be a TOOL, use the right TOOL! (8th grade shop teacher wisdom)

Todd

EverclearAtMSU 03-13-2002 06:41 PM

Re: transmission weight

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby

trannies are usually pretty heavy to begin w/. however when working for my uncle we would lift them on a daily basis. So if you've got some pretty strong people, it shouldn't be a problem. My advice would be to get a few skateboards and a peice of plywood, stick like 3 or 4 skateboards under the plywood and the tranny ontop. the board will distribute the weight pretty well. you'd be suprised at how much those things can take. I only need 1 for my engine and tranny in the 914

huck369 03-13-2002 07:25 PM

I'm guessing about 200 lbs, after having mine out a couple times, the manual weighs about half what the auto weighs.
By my scales(lifting it in and out) anyway.

Stevebsy 03-13-2002 08:44 PM

160 lbs is what mine weighted. Two people can lift it easily.

immortal_suby 03-14-2002 02:52 PM

thanks guys!
I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival - should be here within a couple hours.

Still debating whether I should try to put this in the car myself opr take it to a shop. I've done trannys before, but something tells me this one will be quite a bit harder.

Aredubjay 03-14-2002 03:04 PM

Sorry, I joined this thread late. When I had mine shipped from D.C. it weighed in at 250 lbs. The guy was going to ship it UPS, but, they had a 200 lb limit. He wound up having to "freight" it instead.

1994SubaruSVX 03-14-2002 03:07 PM

immortal......

take your car and tranny to a shop. save yourself the headache and future potential problems.

good luck :)

Godzilla 03-14-2002 03:10 PM

Re: Re: transmission weight

Quote:

Originally posted by EverclearAtMSU

trannies are usually pretty heavy to begin w/. however when working for my uncle we would lift them on a daily basis. So if you've got some pretty strong people, it shouldn't be a problem. My advice would be to get a few skateboards and a peice of plywood, stick like 3 or 4 skateboards under the plywood and the tranny ontop. the board will distribute the weight pretty well. you'd be suprised at how much those things can take. I only need 1 for my engine and tranny in the 914

Well, with my V-8s, I fabricated a cradle out of plywood and 2x4's to hold the tranny in place and then put that onto a floor jack and lift it into place with the floor jack from underneath WHILE the front of the car is on jackstands (under the frame). Dont see why this wouldnt work with the SVX either. Sure would be a damn sight easier than borrowing the skateboards from all the kids in the neighborhood. While im thinking of trannies, why doesnt someone make a transmission pan that is deeper and has air tubes going through it to help cool off the fluid in the pan? They are common items for V-8's, and there seems like no reason (short of clearance issues) they wouldnt make one for the SVX.

immortal_suby 03-16-2002 07:30 AM

The driver and I were able to pick it up off the trailer (those things are tall!) and set it down on my floor creeper to roll it in the garage. It was scary seeing an 18 wheeler do a U-turn in my cul-de-sac but he made it. My back hurt a little yesterday. They had 300lbs written in as freight charge but I am guessing it is closer to the 160lbs that Stevesby quoted.