The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what's with the gas gauge (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10758)

svxcel 05-14-2003 07:05 PM

what's with the gas gauge

Hi everyone.

After 9 months of searching, I found the SVX I was looking for, a 96 LSI, Laguna blue. I am one happy person :p !

I have 0 problems with this car (a short term situation, if these threads are any indicator), but have noticed one item that raises my curiosity, and that has to do with the gas gauge. From what I have learned so far, the SVX can carry 18.1 gallons of fuel. Yet, when the gas guage is showing about 1/8 left and I then fill, I can only put in about 10 gallons.

Is there some method to calibrate the gauge so that it displays something more truly representative of what I have left in the tank?

Thanks to all who respond...this forum has yielded a wealth of worthy information!

svxcel

svxcel 05-14-2003 07:25 PM

OK, scrap this question.

a simple search for 'fuel guage' gave me what I need to know..d-oh.

RTFM!:D

Ron Mummert 05-14-2003 07:59 PM

It would seem to me that by simply extending the curved white line down to where the "E" appears, we'd have a fairly accurate guage. Today the low fuel light came on, & like always, it filled up with 15.2 gallons.

Ron.

nordique14 05-15-2003 12:36 AM

Re: what's with the gas gauge

Quote:

Originally posted by svxcel
I have 0 problems with this car (a short term situation, if these threads are any indicator...
Don't spend any time worrying about it. When I bought my 95 almost two years ago, I was paranoid about everything. Every strange shift from the transmission, every creak and groan gave me visions of the car falling apart. 20,000mi later, here's all I've had to replace:
battery and battery cables
coolant sensor

For every post you read about someone with problems, there are hundreds of us with trouble free cars. So enjoy the car. I love the Laguna Blue color!

Cheers,
Matt

The Monzta 05-15-2003 05:35 AM

After about 220 miles my gauge is right on the empty but when I fill up I almost always get 10 gallons worth in. Now that's what I call a badly misreading gauge. The needle gently drops as I would expect to the half full level then suddenly plummets to empty within about 70 miles. The first time it happened I went into panic mode as I thought my fuel consumption had gone through the roof.

svx_commuter 05-15-2003 06:16 PM

Mine goes to empty and then back up to a 1/4 :)

immortal_suby 05-15-2003 06:49 PM

On an extended highway trip I'll get 100 miles for every 1/4 notch on the gauge - usually 120 for the first 1/4. This usually translates to 26mpg. Normal driving I get about 80-90 for the first 1/4 then it plummets quickly to end up about 150 at the halfway mark and the gas light comes on at about 320 miles. I have run to empty before - car stalled ( way past empty on the gauge) and put in 17.99 gallons - tank holds 18.5

marlettpat 05-15-2003 08:37 PM

my gas guage goes almost 100 more miles after E.......its funny, everyone always tell me to get gas