The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Leaking brake line (hard line) on rear of my silver 92 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48499)

theallpowerful 01-04-2009 11:01 PM

Leaking brake line (hard line) on rear of my silver 92

I am leaking brake fluid near the rear-passenger siide wheel. It appears the line has rusted through. It is one of the two lines that run next to the gas tank on the passenger side. This is very strange since my car has virtually NO rust anywhere else. Either way it needs to be fixed. Any pointers? Whats the best place to get a replacement line? Are SS lines available? TIA.

SuberNatural 01-05-2009 12:42 AM

Re: Leaking brake line (hard line) on rear of my silver 92

Get some pre-flared line from an auto parts store and a $5 line bender and you're good to go.

Freeman 01-05-2009 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theallpowerful (Post 580563)
I am leaking brake fluid near the rear-passenger siide wheel. It appears the line has rusted through. It is one of the two lines that run next to the gas tank on the passenger side. This is very strange since my car has virtually NO rust anywhere else. Either way it needs to be fixed. Any pointers? Whats the best place to get a replacement line? Are SS lines available? TIA.

Why yes, yes they are. Check with either MS warehouse or click the "Svxfiles" link in black n orange on my SIG for a link to OT's site. They work great!

Green1995SVX 01-05-2009 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freeman (Post 580593)
Why yes, yes they are. Check with either MS warehouse or click the "Svxfiles" link in black n orange on my SIG for a link to OT's site. They work great!

Those stainless brake lines are replacements for the rubber lines, not the hard lines. :)

Freeman 01-05-2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 580599)
Those stainless brake lines are replacements for the rubber lines, not the hard lines. :)

Right.. I read that a little late.. Thanks for the correction!

...Maybe I need new hard lines too?

benebob 01-05-2009 08:12 AM

Most hard lines will rot from the inside out when fluid isn't changed. They usually are a PITA to replace as the steel used on the bolts is as strong as rubber! As was already stated you can get preflared lines in various lengths at most parts stores. Be careful though as you need to know the thread count as there are a couple different ones out there. Measure what you have to replace, find one which is close, get it and a bender so you don't kink it, get yourself a bleeder set up, a brake line wrench (has a couple of extra tabs to get a better grip) and I've had very good luck with valvoline synthetic fluid. Get the large bottle and replace all your fluid when you do it.

RojoRocket 01-05-2009 08:57 AM

Be thankful it's the pass side line. Those lines are a beotch to R&R if you attempt to tackle replacement rather than spot-repair. That line only runs to a join in front of the RR wheel.

Glenn

Blacky 01-05-2009 03:42 PM

Like benebob said they rot from the inside out. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs water from the air and over time the lines rust from the inside. Brake fluid is one of those forgotten fluids that a lot of people never flush.

Tuck 01-05-2009 04:58 PM

Having just done both rear lines in the last two months I'll suggest that you get the factory lines or you will spend about a week trying to get all the bends in the right place. I paid under $40 for each of mine. It is easier if you drop the rear subframe about six inches also.

Tuck

theallpowerful 01-13-2009 10:31 PM

I ended up ordering them from the dealer. They were about $40 a piece as stated before. I'll see how the replacement goes when they come in.