The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   alternator replacement (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59099)

david_12121 01-26-2012 07:47 PM

alternator replacement

so i put a new alternator in and i've ran to a problem
power steering, parking brake, brake, and battery lights are on in the dash, but they all are working properly

it all worked fine until i got home and had to park...the serpentine belt fell off then...had to put it back on cuz i don't have the strength to turn the wheel without that!:D

so what have i done wrong that all those warning lights are on?!
why did it fall?!
(it did charge the battery tho)

thanks in advance

1986nate 01-26-2012 07:58 PM

Re: alternator replacement

Make sure that you tightened everything in the tensioner assembly properly. I once made the mistake of forgetting to tighten the 12mm nut that holds the tensioner pulley tight. It backed itself off, and I had to put it and the belt back on. From the sounds of it, something definitely wasn't tight enough.:)

svxfiles 01-26-2012 08:25 PM

David,
did you check all of the pulleys to see if they spin freely?
This of course is done with the engine off, and the belt removed.

Hocrest 01-26-2012 08:43 PM

Also check to see if the crank pulley is separated. There is a rubber layer between the two metal layers. If you paint a line across the 3 layers, then run the car it will be real easy to see if they are staying together.

david_12121 01-26-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 695735)
Make sure that you tightened everything in the tensioner assembly properly. I once made the mistake of forgetting to tighten the 12mm nut that holds the tensioner pulley tight. It backed itself off, and I had to put it and the belt back on. From the sounds of it, something definitely wasn't tight enough.:)

i'll tighten it more that last time to see how it goes...do i have to tighten it just to take the squeal away? how would i know if it's tight enough?
Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 695743)
David,
did you check all of the pulleys to see if they spin freely?
This of course is done with the engine off, and the belt removed.

i did that right after it came off...everything spinning pretty good!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 695744)
Also check to see if the crank pulley is separated. There is a rubber layer between the two metal layers. If you paint a line across the 3 layers, then run the car it will be real easy to see if they are staying together.

changed the timing belt a few weeks ago and i checked the crank pulley too...seemed very solid actually...

What about the warning lights? can it be that the connector to the alt is messed up?! cuz i wrestled with it to take it out....freaking subaru connectors:D

immortal_suby 01-27-2012 12:06 AM

Could be that the new alternator is bad.

tiv0 01-27-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 695756)

I have run into this issue a few times

david_12121 01-27-2012 12:23 AM

Quote:

bad alt lights the warning lights up?!
what is the connector for? on is for + to battery...what is the other one for?

svxcess 01-27-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david_12121 (Post 695759)
bad alt lights the warning lights up?!

What is the connector for? one is for + to battery...what is the other one for?

On the plastic connector, one that plugs into the side of the alternator wire is the field sense wire, that energizes the alternator when the ignition is on. Also monitors battery voltage and uses the regulator to supply additional voltage on demand

The other wire goes to the idiot light on the dash, turning it off when the alternator is charging.

If you need a new plug, they can be ordered from Electric Motor Service in Logan, WV. Their phone number is 800- 697-6070

The part number is 050-012252 and they go for $9.53 each plus shipping with no minimum.They cone with 3-4" of wires already attached so you can splice.

Hocrest 01-27-2012 05:10 AM

Also look at the two smaller wires from the plug as they lead across the top of the alt and AC compressor. They get brittle and may have cracked.

jellybytes2 01-27-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 695760)
On the plastic connector, one that plugs into the side of the alternator wire is the field sense wire, that energizes the alternator when the ignition is on. Also monitors battery voltage and uses the regulator to supply additional voltage on demand

The other wire goes to the idiot light on the dash, turning it off when the alternator is charging.

If you need a new plug, they can be ordered from Electric Motor Service in Logan, WV. Their phone number is 800- 697-6070

The part number is 050-012252 and they go for $9.53 each plus shipping with no minimum.They cone with 3-4" of wires already attached so you can splice.

+1 for this I had to replace this connector when I replaced my alt a few weeks ago. After replacing the alt, the light we still coming on. One of the wires was badly frayed right at the connector. I called this place and I had the new connector in a couple of days.

david_12121 01-27-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 695760)

so those are the reason for the dash lights...i actually did look up for the connector but couldn't find one
thanks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 695761)
Also look at the two smaller wires from the plug as they lead across the top of the alt and AC compressor. They get brittle and may have cracked.

they used to be fine even on the last alternator so i'm guessing the problem is from the connector...

how can i make sure that it's not short circuiting?

Hocrest 01-27-2012 06:42 PM

I had the problem once after I changed the alt. I think moving the wires during the alt swap cracked the insulation and caused a short. If the plug and wire at that end are brittle get the new plug and dissect the wiring shroud until the wires become flexible. This may be a good time to go ahead and do SVXcess's alt wiring upgrade.

svxcess 01-27-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hocrest (Post 695796)
I had the problem once after I changed the alt. I think moving the wires during the alt swap cracked the insulation and caused a short. If the plug and wire at that end are brittle get the new plug and dissect the wiring shroud until the wires become flexible. This may be a good time to go ahead and do svxcess's alternator wiring upgrade.

Which can be found HERE

david_12121 01-28-2012 01:02 AM

SCXcess wiring looks great and the fuse is really useful but you barely added 0.2 volts which IMO is mostly from the alt...i don't think that it was worth it

so is it safe to drive on it with the warning lights on? at least until i receive the new plug?