The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Intermittent tree lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56640)

tiv0 02-24-2011 10:43 PM

Intermittent tree lights

The problem is exactly as the title states. The past two days, especially today, I've been experiencing my dash lights flashing on and off every now and then. Interior lights seem slightly dim as well. My idle was running a little higher than normal when I stopped at a red light today, right above 1k rpms, which was the opposite of what I suspected it would do. I haven't checked voltages yet, but plan on doing so tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's a faulty alternator? I'm currently using a re-manufactured Maniac. I've already replaced two in the last year :(

huck369 02-25-2011 05:14 AM

Re: Intermittent tree lights

Possibly a bad alt, but also a good chance your crank pulley is separating, put a mark across the front of the pulley, drive it some and see if the inner and outer sections stay aligned....

tiv0 02-25-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 669770)
Possibly a bad alt, but also a good chance your crank pulley is separating, put a mark across the front of the pulley, drive it some and see if the inner and outer sections stay aligned....

Checked the voltage across the battery terminals:
Idle: 13.85V
Powered off: 12.82V

Also marked the crank pulley and drove ~10 miles. The marks are still perfectly aligned.

On another note, hit a patch of ice in a store parking lot tonight and slid head-on into a curb going about 10mph. Luckily the front end cleared the curb, but my left wheel took a pretty good hit and a 4 inch piece of the lip of the rim broke off. As you can assume, my alignment is now terribly off...:mad:

kwren 02-25-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 669817)
Checked the voltage across the battery terminals:
Idle: 13.85V
Powered off: 12.82V

Was this the voltage reading at the same time as the Christmas tree was going on. If not, it doesn't count.

If not, when they come on, park right then and leave the engine running and test the battery right then!

Keith:cool:

svxcess 02-25-2011 09:55 PM

Having a plug-in voltmeter is handy at times like this. Put it in the cigarette lighter while driving to get a threshold voltage and watch what happens as the lights dim.

Mine stays permanently installed there.

tiv0 02-25-2011 09:55 PM

No, the lights were not on; didn't even think of that :o

It would be difficult for me to attempt to test the battery while the lights come on, because they don't stay on for more than a second at a time. However, if the situation presents itself, I will be sure to do so.

I drove around quite a bit today and the dash lights only flickered at me during a trip this evening, and it was only for a period of ten seconds or so.

tiv0 02-25-2011 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 669819)
Having a plug-in voltmeter is handy at times like this. Put it in the cigarette lighter while driving to get a threshold voltage and watch what happens as the lights dim.

Mine stays permanently installed there.

I will look into this.

huck369 02-26-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 669817)
On another note, hit a patch of ice in a store parking lot tonight and slid head-on into a curb going about 10mph. Luckily the front end cleared the curb, but my left wheel took a pretty good hit and a 4 inch piece of the lip of the rim broke off. As you can assume, my alignment is now terribly off...:mad:

There is a REALLY good chance that your lower control arm is bent, you should check that out:eek:

tiv0 02-26-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 669827)
There is a REALLY good chance that your lower control arm is bent, you should check that out:eek:

I'm praying that's not the case, but I'll be checking it all out today.

When I bought the car a little over a year ago the company that shipped it to me delivered it in a very similar condition. One of their drivers took it for a "joyride" and smacked into a curb. I replaced a broken rim, lower control arm, ball joint, and had an alignment done...

svxcess 02-26-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 669818)
Was this the voltage reading at the same time as the Christmas tree was going on. If not, it doesn't count.

If not, when they come on, park right then and leave the engine running and test the battery right then!

I found this post from Trevor, who is an accredited electrical engineer. I found it to be useful.

The flashing of several dashboard trouble indication lights can indicate an alternator fault.

The indicator light test circuit incorporates blocking diodes to eliminate a sneak circuit which would otherwise exist. In an event involving faults within the alternator rectifier network, often involving only a single diode, alternating current is induced online. As a result, pulses of reverse voltage pass the blocking diodes in the test circuit and energize the indicator lights.

It has been shown that testing battery voltage with a multimeter switched to the alternating current range, will usually disclose the presence of the unwanted alternating current, whereas a straight direct current output voltage check may not.

Those who are testing alternators have often failed to detect this problem, as there may be only a small reduction in DC output.

oab_au 02-26-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiv0 (Post 669821)
I will look into this.

If you are getting the lights to come on intermittently, I would certainly get that plug-in voltmeter. All those dash lights come on when there is an alternator problem, these are the units that may not work if the problem continues.

It may just be a problem with the alternator wiring at the plug on the side or it may be the alternator itself. The most dangerous fault is if the voltage regulator in the alt fails, as it does,:eek: the voltage will rise to above 16-17 volts to destroy many of the electronic units in the car, so with the volt meter plugged in the lighter socket, you can keep an eye on it to see what the voltage is doing. If it is going high, stop driving and replace the alternator.

Harvey.

kwren 02-26-2011 07:18 PM

We can all kick this around till the cows come home but my advice, for whatever it is worth, would be to just go ahead and pick up an alternator.

The alternator may not cooperate and stop working in front of the automobile parts place of your choice.

You are going to have to replace it... The rest of us all did when that happened to us.

P.S. If Tony says it is a blown head-gasket, just ignore him :lol:

svxcess 02-26-2011 08:58 PM

Get it before you need it.

And we know who has the BEST DEAL on a stock 95A OEM alternator, don't we?

Plus free shipping and prepaid shipping for your old core.

kwren 02-27-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 669891)

Pretty much! Last count there were a couple that didn't "have it all together yet. It was certainly an easy choice for me! I have 3 SVX and one high amp alternator just sitting on the shelf ready for any emergency!

SVXRide 02-27-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 669891)

Plus free shipping and prepaid shipping for your old core.

John,
Check the first post. He stated he's currently running a remanufactured MANIAC alt. This is the first I've heard of anyone having any issue with a MANIAC alt.
-Bill