The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Front end rattle??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38047)

wawazat?? 03-22-2007 09:44 AM

Front end rattle???

Since I've been pushing the SVX a little harder during the warmer months while autocrossing I've been hearing an increasingly pronounced rattle from the front end. It became more pronounced after the installation of Koni inserts. At first, I traced it to athe front anti-sway bar end link being insufficiently torqued. Solved that but a similar noise persists. All strut mount fasteners are tightened completely and I'm wondering if it may be the upper strut mounts causing the noise. It is most noticeable on low amplitude, high frequency (think rippled pavement) than at any other time. The bearings seemed fine last AUgust when I installed the inserts but the noise has gotten worse. I have also verified caliper and caliper bracket torque values.

Any thoughts?

Todd

svxistentialist 03-22-2007 10:12 AM

What about the subframe bushings Todd?

They are supposed to be suspended using some elastoprene or other such silent bushes. If one wore thin and was rubbing metal, it would make a noise, might it not?

Joe

Suby Fan 03-22-2007 01:02 PM

can you move the sway bar links a little bit by hand? because that would point to the sway bar links

SVXRide 03-22-2007 01:18 PM

Todd,
The sway bar links have a way of working their way loose (okay, so maybe I put a little more force on them:eek: )
-Bill

SVX_MY_BABY 03-22-2007 01:26 PM

You can take the sway bar links off and drive without them (just far enough to see if the rattle is gone).

I have the same problem after installing Koni's & stiffer springs. Koni has sent a warranty replacement set of inserts which I hope to swap out soon.

SVX_MY_BABY 03-23-2007 07:12 AM

Just had another thought.

Have you checked your steering rack?

TomsSVX 03-23-2007 12:05 PM

check your brake caliper. Sometimes the slide pins wear down and allow room for play... This will cause that kind of noise esp. on roads like rippled pavement. Best way to check it is by hitting the brakes lightly while its happening and see if it stops

Tom

wawazat?? 03-26-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
check your brake caliper. Sometimes the slide pins wear down and allow room for play... This will cause that kind of noise esp. on roads like rippled pavement. Best way to check it is by hitting the brakes lightly while its happening and see if it stops

Tom

Now that the SVX has assumed 3rd car status, I've tried your diagnostic Tom. Rattle contimues when brakes are applied:( Im still thinking strut mounts but will again re-tighten end-links or swap a set from the stock pile.

SVX_MY_BABY 05-28-2007 03:00 PM

How did you make out with the rattle?

I swapped my inserts for warranty replacement. Cut to strut towers to Koni spec length (they were a little long) and my rattle is gone.