The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who's driving with original parts? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56398)

Ron Mummert 01-20-2011 02:41 PM

Who's driving with original parts?

My mental exercise with a decade's worth of SVX companionship has prompted me to ask this question. With all the grief found within this site dedicated to failure, or what's about to fail, I got to thinking; yes, dangerous, but nonetheless - What HAVEN'T you replaced? I'm not concerned with the stuff that every car out there needs to keep rollin'; brakes, rotors, tires, batteries, belts, etc. - just the plastic & metal stuff that might seem to be "prone to failure, because it's a dam' SVX".

While this sort of bragging emits thoughts of "The kiss of Death", I'll begin the list because I'm not superstitous. (Knock on wood).

As far as I know, or at least in the last 10 years, my '92, build date Jan. 92 at 150K miles still has the original:

Engine, radiator & fans, alternator, master & brake cylinders, ABS module, coils, fuel injectors, climate control system & A/C compressor, stereo (front door speakers need help), power antenna, power seat, auto-belts, sun roof, all lighting except a couple dash LEDs, exhaust system, drive train, suspension, struts, & wheels.
And....the infamous slush box, while replaced over 10 years ago, has hummed along for close to 90K with one power flush 50K ago.

If I've overlooked something else pertainent, it's probably because it's still working.

Anyone else dare to do some boasting?:rolleyes:

Ron (now gritting teeth).

SVX_MY_BABY 01-20-2011 03:26 PM

Re: Who's driving with original parts?

Engine, radiator & fans, alternator, master & brake cylinders, ABS module, coils, fuel injectors, climate control system & A/C compressor, stereo, power antenna, power seat, auto-belts, sun roof, all lighting, exhaust systemOrigional muffler, drive train, suspension, struts, & wheels.
And....the infamous slush box, replaced under warranty in '96 I think, but it's getting weak (not the tranny's fault. It's a long story.:()

Have replaced the red items from your list, plus the gas line. Drivers belt doesn't always retract. Could have lived with the suspension but it just wasn't like it was when new.
Not bad for a June '91 build. It's not my main driver, but I do drive it all year. Less in winter.

Gamesy 01-20-2011 03:31 PM

removed the resonator
changed the transmission to 04 wrx 5spd
injectors/maf/ecutune chip for stage 2
everything else is stock

immortal_suby 01-20-2011 04:07 PM

At 282k mine still has the original.............drum roll.............rear wheel bearings!

Ron Mummert 01-20-2011 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by immortal_suby (Post 667253)
At 282k mine still has the original.............drum roll.............rear wheel bearings!

You must be playing the stereo REALLY loud, Matt.:lol:

Green1995SVX 01-20-2011 05:50 PM

Everything on my SVX is original except for:

brake pads and rotors, battery, tires, CD player, front door speakers, fuel lines over the gas tank, and front axles.

I'm on the original transmission, and original wheel bearings.

Manarius 01-20-2011 07:08 PM

At 191k miles: Engine (headgaskets), radiator & fans, alternator, master & brake cylinders, ABS module, fuel injectors, climate control system & A/C compressor, speakers, power antenna, power seat, sun roof, all lighting (replaced some bulbs), exhaust system (resonator delete prior to my ownership), drive train, suspension, struts, transmission, security system, fuel pump.

Replaced: Wheels/wheel bearings, coils, headlights, negative lead (rusted out), radio, original tail bar (broke original during bake).

dcarrb 01-21-2011 11:09 AM

Having put some 80,000 miles on two cars, here's what's been replaced, in addition to scheduled maintenance/expected wear items:

AC compressor (both cars), alternator (both cars), wheel bearings (both cars), radiator (teal), steering rack (silver), power antenna (both cars), rear strut mounts (silver), an ABS sensor and 2 tone wheels (silver), cam cover seals (teal), front sway bar bushings (both cars), stereo speakers (both cars, doors only).

The transmission in the silver SVX was apparently replaced by a previous owner @ just under 70,000 miles

I'm probably forgetting something.

dcb

Bobb 01-21-2011 12:21 PM

Hi everyone, Yes the tranny god dumped on my transmission a while back. Nothing new there. However in preparation for our trip to Washington State to see Earl last summer, I had all the pulleys and the like replaced in the front of the engine. I also had the TPS and throttle cable replaced. And surprise, the car ran much better. Everything seemed much crisper and seat of the pants quicker. I was quite surprised. I also had new ignition wires put in. Any of these things might have had an effect in improving performance. While I had the transmission out I sent the Radio/CD player out to Panasonic and had them look it over and fix whatever they could and clean it up. The thing we all tend to forget is that some items on and in a car will die of old age. Not just from high miles. Take a look at your seats and transfer that vision to all the other items in the car. Well enough of this thinking cap stuff. I'm off to do some shopping. The high temp today is going to be around 17 degrees. Take care, BOBB

NikFu S. 01-21-2011 03:15 PM

It's easier to list what original parts have failed.

alternator (twice, probably due to coolant leaks)
transmission
one headlight
that damn driver's side window clip
some mysterious part of the ABS system (could be the harness, again due to moisture)
radiator
rear top mounts
fuel pump.

That's about it. Everything else is either stock or was replaced for reasons other than defects or failure, i.e. vandalism.

Despite all the problems talked about here I think these cars are still rock solid.

newsvx 01-21-2011 09:00 PM

What remains stock? EVERYTHING on the '97 (at 76K miles) except the rear wheel bearings.

Now the '92? The following has been replaced: engine, trans, rear end.

VERY GOOD question, Ron!!!!!

Ron Mummert 01-21-2011 09:56 PM

What remains stock? EVERYTHING on the '97 (at 76K miles) except the rear wheel bearings.

So what about that highly modified race-tuned exhaust system?
G stock indeed!

Ron.

Alex-svx 01-22-2011 07:19 AM

Just the manual tranny and sterio and brake parts are not orginal.

Everting else i bye for this car comes from Subaru FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES LTD (made in japan):lol: Cost litte more but i think my car is worth it.;)

newsvx 01-22-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Mummert (Post 667357)

So what about that highly modified race-tuned exhaust system?
G stock indeed!

Ron.

The exhaust system is ALL "back to stock" ..... now, the '92 is another question ......... - a special from Ole Tom ...

dromano 03-03-2011 01:18 PM

My 92 has a 10/91 body plate. 122k miles, still have original tranny. Have replaced front CV axles, radiator, crank pulley & all valve cover/front engine oil gaskets/seals. Slotted cryovaced rotors up front. Front wipers have not worked since 2001.

Run synthetics in the tranny, engine & both diffs.