The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Pop goes the .... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39197)

ensteele 06-02-2007 02:51 PM

Pop goes the ....

Well, I met the meet monster today. We had the Spring Classic Meet today and I got bit! We went up to a high point lookout for the first stop. Just as I got to the top, steam came out from under the hood big time. I opened up the hood and there was a 6" crack in the radiator. I got it home by using duct tape and fillng the radiator with water every 5 miles or so. I didn't close the filler cap all of the way so it didn't get up to pressure and spray water every where. It was bad enough. It never got hot, so it should be fine.

The first part of the meet was fun though. :rolleyes: :D :D

SomethingElse 06-02-2007 05:01 PM

Must be a bad week for radiators. mine popped tuesday on the bottom of all places. I think the fan kicked something into it because the blades are a little chopped up..the top crack was repaired multiple times so... hello silla. Got it in 2 days from some NY ebayer.

ensteele 06-03-2007 12:31 AM

How are the Silla Radiators? I was thinking I may go with one of those. :)

DreamingOfSpeed 06-03-2007 06:44 PM

The silla radiators have been getting good reviews. I need one but cant seem to pm motorsports_SVX about them (full inbox?) he said he could get them for 255 plus shipping when we discussed it about a month ago (my radiator cracked 3+ months ago and i still havent fixed it)

svx_commuter 06-06-2007 05:53 AM

I split my radiator a long time ago now. Just like yours with about 6" long split in the top. Just like you after a climb up a steep hill.

When I got the new radiator I left the cap off and checked the water flow. I noticed the small bubbles coming up out of the filler tube. The bubbles did not go away. I run the front of the SVX on ramps so the air comes out easier. Helps to vent the coolant system. So I knew it was not air venting out of the system.

Then I had the Co2 (or Co) checked on the coolant and that was the smoking gun. Long story short it was a small head gasket leak. I could drive the SVX but was told to stay off of steep hills. I replaced the engine.

Yeah the plastic gets old and brittle and sometimes additional checking pays off. I did want to blow a new radiator.

Today if I had HG leak I would try some of the K&W Block Seal (CRC) or similar products on the market ....... before replacing the HG or engine. If the leak isn't to big it may work and for less than $100 it's worth the time.

When I was researching this I found out that Chrysler uses this additive in the Chrysler coolant on new cars to seal holes when the holes are small.

Take care,

John

nonSTOP_service 06-06-2007 05:58 AM

Hey, while we're talkin about radiators...

I think my SVX here is due for a flush, but what are some good tell tale signs?

It seems to be running a little hotter than it needs to be, my temp gauge seems to go to a little less than half, and just hangs out there.

I'm used to little four bangers though, so maybe this is just normal for a sixer? But then again, my nissan Z never stayed that hot.

dcarrb 06-06-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service
It seems to be running a little hotter than it needs to be, my temp gauge seems to go to a little less than half, and just hangs out there.

That's exactly where it should be.

Maybe flushing the cooling system made some sense in the days of cast iron blocks and soldered copper radiators, but I'm not so sure it's a worthwhile exercise now.

dcb

Bwana 06-06-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed
The silla radiators have been getting good reviews. I need one but cant seem to pm motorsports_SVX about them (full inbox?) he said he could get them for 255 plus shipping when we discussed it about a month ago (my radiator cracked 3+ months ago and i still havent fixed it)

You need to email him. He doesnt check, or respond to PM's anymore.

nonSTOP_service 06-06-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcarrb
That's exactly where it should be.

Maybe flushing the cooling system made some sense in the days of cast iron blocks and soldered copper radiators, but I'm not so sure it's a worthwhile exercise now.

dcb

Alright, cool. Just concerned is all. I won't bother then. I'm still puttin on a uhaul tranny cooler though lol.

ensteele 06-06-2007 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DreamingOfSpeed

Not to take business from Dayle, but they are available elsewhere for less. ($165.00 including shipping). Just a FYI. :)

ensteele 06-06-2007 11:36 PM

The only thing that I would consider flushing on the stock radiator is the tranny cooler line in the radiator (one pass). There is also a screen that gets clogged and needs to be cleaned if you don't have a filter. :)

ensteele 06-09-2007 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service
Alright, cool. Just concerned is all. I won't bother then. I'm still puttin on a uhaul tranny cooler though lol.

I would! :) :)