The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sensor lights on dash come on when off idle (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48491)

andreoz 01-04-2009 06:20 PM

Sensor lights on dash come on when off idle

After a recent service, my various sensor alarm lights come on as soon as the car is not idling - battery light, stop lamp light, Park Brake, Brake Fluid and Antilock Brake.
Has anyone had the pleasure of a similar experience? If so what is the most likely cause before I take it back to the workshop and give them a roasting...

SoCal LS-L 01-04-2009 09:11 PM

Re: Sensor lights on dash come on when off idle

Clarify: Not idling

Does that mean as soon as you rev the engine??

Or does that mean as soon as the car is turned off?

kwren 01-04-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreoz (Post 580514)
After a recent service, my various sensor alarm lights come on as soon as the car is not idling - battery light, stop lamp light, Park Brake, Brake Fluid and Antilock Brake.
Has anyone had the pleasure of a similar experience? If so what is the most likely cause before I take it back to the workshop and give them a roasting...

I would just take it back and give them a good roasting for general principles! They probably sabotaged it anyway...

Keith:)

b3lha 01-05-2009 05:41 AM

My guess is that your alternator belt is slipping. Check it is tight and in good condition.

Freeman 01-05-2009 06:46 AM

Yeah, mine gets angry and lights up all over like that when my PS belt breaks or comes off... Which is often..

andreoz 01-05-2009 09:59 PM

When idling they turn off and when rev up they come on. Alternator belt is fine and tight.

Green1995SVX 01-05-2009 10:12 PM

I would bet it is a problem with the voltage regulator (internal to the alternator). I think you need a new alternator.

b3lha 01-06-2009 10:32 AM

Search the forum for "Christmas Tree Lights".

You may come across a detailed post from Trevor explaining why the problem occurs.

kwren 01-06-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 580763)
I would bet it is a problem with the voltage regulator (internal to the alternator). I think you need a new alternator.

yup... chances are..........

edmsvx 01-06-2009 09:47 PM

Check your wiring to your battery. I have seen this in my svx, and found the battery post connections very corroded. ( okay at idle, lights would come on very dim at about 3500-4000 rpm )

SVX JAZZ 01-07-2009 08:43 AM

Mine turn on and off at idle. Also the engine RPMs rise slightly. My belt was bad so I thought it was slipping. I replaced it and had the same problem. Its been doing this for a while and only does it after a long drive. I am going to test the alternator today hopefully.

andreoz 01-15-2009 06:56 PM

Thank you to all! Great lot of info and it was definitely the alternator - putting out 18V!! As they are no longer manufactured my electrician managed to get another Subaru model where he simply had to modify the bracket slightly and use the pulley from the original alternator. All is well now and the "Christmas Lights" are gone. Very coincidental that they did come on at Christmas time!!!

andreoz 02-08-2009 03:30 PM

Thanks to all and the Christmas lights thread - it was the alternator. Had it replaced with a new Subaru (not SVX but fits OK using original pulley). All lights OK. Within a week my dash lisghts started pulsating pointing to an alternator problem. It was - had it replaced for another new one under warranty - let's see it this lasts a bit longer!!
Thanks again for the assistance!

Green1995SVX 02-08-2009 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andreoz (Post 586535)
Thanks to all and the Christmas lights thread - it was the alternator. Had it replaced with a new Subaru (not SVX but fits OK using original pulley). All lights OK. Within a week my dash lisghts started pulsating pointing to an alternator problem. It was - had it replaced for another new one under warranty - let's see it this lasts a bit longer!!
Thanks again for the assistance!

An alternator from another subaru won't do the job. The SVX's alternator is a higher output unit than other subarus. You can get a Subaru Remanufactured alternator at any Subaru dealer. If it's a larger dealer they probably even keep it in stock.

andreoz 02-08-2009 08:48 PM

Thank you for that message. We are talking "Down Under" where there were very few SVX's imported so it is becoming somewhat of a rarity with virtually no parts available! I'll get the full specs of the replacement!