The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The crack on my exhaust (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28696)

n00b on demand 09-30-2005 10:02 AM

The crack on my exhaust

So for a while ive had a crack on my exhaust right before the main cat. Took it into the shop today so they could take a look at it and maybe weld it. The guy called me and said its a little hard to get to and wouldnt be able to weld it...called the dealer for a price to replace and its about 550 bucks. So he said he could patch it up for me but its on temporary and it would leak again. This sucks....i was hoping that bad noise would finally go away. I'm letting him patch it up for like 5 or 10 bucks. TomsSvx, next time we meet you need to show me exactly where this crack is if the guy cant show me today if the shops too crowded....i need to see where i need to do future patch ups :rolleyes: :D

TomsSVX 09-30-2005 10:20 AM

stop whining and get a new exhast system.... ;) :D Seriously though, try and talk to Mike621 he is getting his exhaust system revamped and might be able to give you his pass side pre-cat pipe.. That is the peice you need. Try posting the wanted/for sale forums see if anyone has extras

Tom

n00b on demand 09-30-2005 10:52 AM

Thanks Tom. Just made a new thread. Hey i was thinking...what if I buy all the pipes from autozone and buy a flowmaster or magnaflow...and we cut off the old exhaust with a hacksaw and put the new crap in and clamp it :D . Buy pre bent pipes i guess. :rolleyes: ...i wouldnt even know what i was going :D

Earthworm 09-30-2005 11:46 AM

It cracks on top of the 2 inlets to the cat. That's why it's hard to weld.

n00b on demand 09-30-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
It cracks on top of the 2 inlets to the cat. That's why it's hard to weld.

David thanks for the explanation. I was wondering why he said it was hard to weld. I'm gonna look to get a new pipe from someone doing away with their exhaust.

TomsSVX 09-30-2005 11:56 AM

it is not on the top, it is on the bottom. The problem he was explaining is that the pipe is rotted and will continue to rot now that it is there. A quick weld will fix it for a little while but a new pipe should be used. His issue with fixing it was it is so close to the flange, there is not much room to work with, at least thats what I got out of it

Tom

n00b on demand 09-30-2005 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX
it is not on the top, it is on the bottom. The problem he was explaining is that the pipe is rotted and will continue to rot now that it is there. A quick weld will fix it for a little while but a new pipe should be used. His issue with fixing it was it is so close to the flange, there is not much room to work with, at least thats what I got out of it

Tom

That works too :p

Earthworm 09-30-2005 12:19 PM

I said the top because that's where mine started leaking. It's also hard to weld because there's the flange for the heatshields there.

n00b on demand 09-30-2005 03:22 PM

Ok well he patched it up as best as he can. I could see why it was hard to weld it he showed me. There is still an annoying noise that happens upon acceleration. Last year when I took it in he said it was a loose bolt or something like that...after he " tightened" the bolt it never came back untill recently. The car sounds perfect for now anyway untill the patch gives out. The annoying noise goes as follows :

your at a red light and and lightly accelerate and then you hear "kkkkkkkkkkkk"....light scraping noise...thats the best way i can describe it. Doesnt happen above 2k rpms. Once you get below that it happens and goes away when you give it more gas. Also happens when the gears change and the rpms drop. Its very annoying. I think its most probably a heat shield. I think its coming from the right side underneath...when im driving the car with the windows down it seems to be that way. The mechanic said i need that pipe from the header all the way to the main cat....i guess that means i need a new passenger side catalytic converter since its attached? :confused: . The dealer told him 500 bucks...i was like yea right. But anyway thats the deal for now. :rolleyes: