The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Struts... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11836)

clarkerussell 07-08-2003 07:55 AM

Struts...

OK, the bouncing of my front end and shaking of my steering wheel when I hit bumps at highway speed was diagnosed as worn struts. The mechanic I went to in Greenville, SC told me that someone in Greenville (not you Suby), had replaced their struts with an aftermarket strut that did not require any welding or cutting of original "donor" struts. Supposedly this person moved to Atlanta, but the mechanic said the car handled incredibly well after the upgrade. Is anyone aware of the Strut manufacturer? The Mechanic said it was not one of the "normal" manufactures like Boge, Koni, etc. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and they quoted me $220 to replace both front struts. That included an alignment. Does that sound reasonable to everyone? Thanks.

Clarke

ensteele 07-08-2003 10:17 AM

I don't know about the struts, but that sounds like a very good price.

JLittell 07-08-2003 10:36 AM

Sounds like Konis! Front Strut replacement and labor is reasonable at $220. I was quoted yesterday to install Konis on the front of $240 plus a $60 alignment from Big O Tires. A lot of shops won't touch or install your own parts.

mbtoloczko 07-08-2003 11:18 AM

Re: Struts...

Quote:

Originally posted by clarkerussell
OK, the bouncing of my front end and shaking of my steering wheel when I hit bumps at highway speed was diagnosed as worn struts. The mechanic I went to in Greenville, SC told me that someone in Greenville (not you Suby), had replaced their struts with an aftermarket strut that did not require any welding or cutting of original "donor" struts. Supposedly this person moved to Atlanta, but the mechanic said the car handled incredibly well after the upgrade. Is anyone aware of the Strut manufacturer? The Mechanic said it was not one of the "normal" manufactures like Boge, Koni, etc. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and they quoted me $220 to replace both front struts. That included an alignment. Does that sound reasonable to everyone? Thanks.

Clarke

Unless the person found a strut for another car that fits the SVX, I don't think there are any options except stock or Koni for struts. Maybe he dropped in a set of coilovers from Aragosta or Bilstein or something like that.

Considering that the struts themselves are $100/ea, I'm guessing that $220 is for labor only. I'd say that's a very good price since it includs an alignment. You may want to consider having them replace the upper strut mount while the whole mess is apart. The bearing can get notched and cause a knocking sound when hitting bumps. The strut mounts are about $85/ea.

wawazat?? 07-08-2003 11:21 AM

With that description, I'd say he was talking about Porter. If so, welding was involved and he used Koni inserts.

Todd

clarkerussell 07-08-2003 01:12 PM

Yes, I think that's it...

Porter sounds right... What was is his first name? Also, Is there a thread on the Koni conversion? Thanks.

Clarke

JLittell 07-08-2003 01:43 PM

Konis For Dummies...Like me!

I looked. There seems to be blurbs here and there of the Koni conversion in the search section. What is a Koni "inserts" versus regular Konis? Is this a do-it yourself project if you have the right tools? All I know it's time for new replacement struts for my SVX...I would like to try the Konis! I have everything priced out and ready to go...
;)

clarkerussell 07-08-2003 02:09 PM

The $220 quote..

Just to clarify, the $220 I was quoted was for the front struts and the alignment only... not the rears...

That brings up another question... Should I go ahead and replace the rears at the same time? Thanks.

Clarke

mbtoloczko 07-08-2003 02:47 PM

Re: The $220 quote..

Quote:

Originally posted by clarkerussell
Just to clarify, the $220 I was quoted was for the front struts and the alignment only... not the rears...

That brings up another question... Should I go ahead and replace the rears at the same time? Thanks.

Clarke

If the front struts are bad, the rear struts are probably on their way out too.