The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am I nuts??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15426)

NapaBavarian 01-05-2004 09:22 PM

Am I nuts???

Here it goes, I've been offered an SVX in my prefered color for $2200 or so, good condition, 160,000 or so mi, possibly origional transmission and rear wheel bearings... but the 1800 mile drive to get it scares me, I know too much about what might fail on these things :( It's tempting, but I dont have the finances to deal with potential problems right now!

Karl

MNYPNNY 01-05-2004 09:25 PM

I know where you can get spare pieces!!!! :D :D :D

~~Michelle

Stevebsy 01-05-2004 09:42 PM

I drove mine from Vermont to MN in 2 days after buying it sight unseen except for photos. Picked it up in the dark, covered with salt, in the middle of winter :rolleyes:

I survived...

Plus the network didn't even exist back then. Now you would probably be no more than 50-100 miles from any member at most points along your trip, most of whom would be willing to help you out if disaster struck.

Highway driving is low stress on the car. Nothing should break if you are gentle. Sorry, I probably just jinxed you :eek:

To transport it will probably run you at least $800, probably more.

Good luck with your choice :)

shelfy 01-05-2004 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stevebsy
To transport it will probably run you at least $800, probably more.
i paid exactly $800 to have my claret shipped from maine to colorado almost two years ago.

Aredubjay 01-06-2004 08:47 AM

I drove my $3,500.00 car that I picked up, sight unseen (except for photos, like Steve) from Long Island, NY, to Owensboro, KY -- straight through, without incident (stopping for a quick nap near Columbus, Ohio :) ). O'course, it only had 125K on the clock and had a one year old Suby reman tranny in it.

ensteele 01-06-2004 03:05 PM

I drove mine from Columbus OH straight through to home in Washington State except for a couple of naps (5 hours total) That was over 3,000 miles. I did have some history on it, but had not see it before that day.

All of my cars have been brought home the same way - driving them home. The closest one to home was in California (Burbank, CA) No problems with any of them. :)

Ron Mummert 01-06-2004 07:01 PM

Longest drive home after purchase department.
....and The Sweaty White Knuckle award goes to .........

CDG (Chris G.) drives from Baltimore, MD to Vancouver, Canada in a '92 with over 150K on it.

At least I assume he made it. Haven't heard from him lately.
Hmmmmm.....

Ron.

ensteele 01-06-2004 08:48 PM

He started that drive just a little over a year ago and he got home last week! :D :D (not really - jk) He did it right. He stoped all across the US and saw many members of this site. I am sure he will not soon forget it. In more ways than one! :rolleyes: ;) :)

JLittell 01-06-2004 08:54 PM

You might ask the seller if he has any extra sets of tires that come with the SVX that he's selling to you. I know at least one member who drove across country with 2 sets of tires in the back seat... I think he was worried about getting a flat of something... What a freak!!:D

I think the general consensus is that you'll be all right if you drive it across boarders..Have some SVX faith man!!

ensteele 01-06-2004 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JLittell
You might ask the seller if he has any extra sets of tires that come with the SVX that he's selling to you. I know at least one member who drove across country with 2 sets of tires in the back seat... I think he was worried about getting a flat of something... What a freak!!:D

:eek: :eek: :eek: What a freak!!:D :D :D I wonder who that would be??? :p :p :p

NapaBavarian 01-07-2004 04:50 PM

I guess all I need to do is decide if I want to spend my money on this, so many projects, so little money!!! I wasn't too woried about the transmission, but the wheel bearings did scare me, if they failed somewhere in New Mexico continuing to drive them to San Diego then to Napa could cause catastrophic failure destroying the hub and possibly more from excessive heat and I've seen the bill for this, not pretty:( but I can take my good set from my car and carry them as spares.

92pearlbob 01-07-2004 05:52 PM

i know what you mean

I was in your shoes about 4 months ago when was looking at an svx that was priced to my liking, but i just fell inlove with the car, drove it for forty something great days and the front differencial decided to explode. The transmission place said the dealership probably knew about the problem which is why they priced it low. well its been in the shop for a couple months now and 4500 dollars later i'll have it. I had to take out a personal lone from a family member just to pay it off. when you want a nice car and don't have the money, you might give in to a money pitt, i'd watch out.

Yoda3000 01-07-2004 06:03 PM

This is an SVX we're talking about and you may not get another chance at a good parts/project car. Besides it can sit in your garage until you do have money to work on it. (I'm a pack rat by nature.)

I would reccomend topping off fluids and having extra with you. Also check the tire wear. I live in Abq. NM if you have problems.

What color would you get?

Noir 01-08-2004 04:38 PM

i drove about 1800 miles for mine :D 900 or so each way.