The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Removing rear shelf for new struts (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21390)

benebob 09-17-2004 02:45 PM

Removing rear shelf for new struts

Having a little difficulty figuring out how to gain access to the top of the rear struts. How do I remove the shelf (specifically the area where the seat belt comes out).

lee 09-17-2004 02:53 PM

you probably have to take off the side panels - which means the seat bottom has to be pulled. There's a screw on each side of the rear package shelf that holds it to the metal and they are hard to get to with the side panels in place (I could never do it, but I remember somebody saying they could).

benebob 09-17-2004 02:56 PM

Side panels are gone. Now to find the f-ing screw. 5 minutes and I already cut myself.:D :D :D

Earthworm 09-17-2004 03:08 PM

There are 2 black screws facing forward. One on each side. With these removed you can lift the shelf up to pop out the clips then pull the shelf toward you and that's it.

Earthworm 09-17-2004 03:12 PM

Here's a link from subaruparts to illustrate:

Reference Link

mbtoloczko 09-17-2004 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
There are 2 black screws facing forward. One on each side. With these removed you can lift the shelf up to pop out the clips then pull the shelf toward you and that's it.
I just had mine out last weekend. Seems to me that it just pulls straight out once the two screws are removed. Gotta give it a little tug. Should kinda pop forward.

benebob 09-17-2004 07:37 PM

Thanks guys! Stuts are finally in! It definately isn't as easy as the rears on an XT6 or BRAT. Suprisingly the mounts were in tip top shape! One thing weird I noticed was that my rear sway bar seems quite rusty (not an ounce elsewhere under there). It makes the XT6s look brand new!.

CGLathrop 09-18-2004 03:16 PM

Question for Benebob

I have never done a strut install before, but need to replace all 4. How hard is it? Any special tools needed? Any chance that you took some pictures to share?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

lee 09-18-2004 04:13 PM

Re: Question for Benebob

Quote:

Originally posted by CGLathrop
I have never done a strut install before, but need to replace all 4. How hard is it? Any special tools needed? Any chance that you took some pictures to share?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

not hard, just takes time.

yes on special tools - spring compressors are a must. I found an impact wrench to be my best friend on removing the strut from the upper mount. you'll need a wheel alignment when you're done. that about covers the "special" tools (I think).

mbtoloczko 09-18-2004 04:53 PM

There's also a "How-To" document in the "How-To" section of the website.

CGLathrop 09-19-2004 06:21 AM

Thanks..

Great info.. Thanks.

Did you rent a spring compressor?

Chris

lee 09-19-2004 07:13 AM

Re: Thanks..

Quote:

Originally posted by CGLathrop
Great info.. Thanks.

Did you rent a spring compressor?

Chris

I didn't, they're about $25-30, get them at Sears or most any parts store that also sells tools - just be careful, when compressed, if one were to pop off it could cause a fatal accident under the right (wrong?) conditions - there's a lot of force involved.