The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   These Damn Brake Calipers (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41542)

nonSTOP_service 10-26-2007 01:41 PM

These Damn Brake Calipers

Alright. So I finally got around to buying some brake pads (I got sum cheap raybestos lol) anywho...

We can't seem to get them to fit. Well, more like we can't get the damn brake pistons to compress far enough, to fit it around the pads...

Any suggestions? We've been trying to compress them for well over an hour now.

SubaSteevo 10-26-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service (Post 504259)
Alright. So I finally got around to buying some brake pads (I got sum cheap raybestos lol) anywho...

We can't seem to get them to fit. Well, more like we can't get the damn brake pistons to compress far enough, to fit it around the pads...

Any suggestions? We've been trying to compress them for well over an hour now.

Use a c-clamp

Hocrest 10-26-2007 02:25 PM

Did you open the bleeder?

I've never had a problem getting them to compress so that they're flush with the base of the caliper...

Maybe there is a rust/rough spot on one of the pistons? How was the boot?

nonSTOP_service 10-26-2007 02:30 PM

@ SubaSteevo: We did, the c-clamp bent... I've actually got a sweet picture of it, I've never seen one do that before.

@ Hocrest: At first we didn't bleed them, afterwards we did, and it didn't seem to help. Actually we figured it out, we pulled off the caliper, set the old pads on the pistons, and beat at it with a graphite hammer. Spraying the pistons down with some PB really helped. The boots are pretty torn, so I assume I have quite the rust garden goin on in there.

I've got pics of the old pads too. After we were done the pad shattered.

edit: I've been searching for a while now, and I can't seem to find the brake line torque specs. Am I just stupid and their listed in the how to section or...?

SubaSteevo 10-26-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonSTOP_service (Post 504265)
@ SubaSteevo: We did, the c-clamp bent... I've actually got a sweet picture of it, I've never seen one do that before.

@ Hocrest: At first we didn't bleed them, afterwards we did, and it didn't seem to help. Actually we figured it out, we pulled off the caliper, set the old pads on the pistons, and beat at it with a graphite hammer. Spraying the pistons down with some PB really helped. The boots are pretty torn, so I assume I have quite the rust garden goin on in there.

I've got pics of the old pads too. After we were done the pad shattered.

edit: I've been searching for a while now, and I can't seem to find the brake line torque specs. Am I just stupid and their listed in the how to section or...?

Sounds like you need new calipers

paulmeisterpk 10-26-2007 07:16 PM

I had this on my motorcycle. Turns out that there was some crap on my piston that was hanging up when I tried to compress them. I pushed the piston further out and cleaned it up with some scotch brite pad. Then it moved freely.

Hondasucks 10-26-2007 11:42 PM

You definately need new calipers now, or at least new seals, since PB blaster will eat the seals..

Nomake Wan 10-27-2007 03:10 AM

Refurbished calipers are cheap and do the job... just get some from Rockauto and call it a day. :D